Is there any way to make it so newbies and problem posters are blocked from posting until they either read/reread and sign off on rules page just like signing off on user agreement before continuing to install software. Perhaps this could cut down on bumps of abandoned threads (4 years old) and other hijack problems, also could serve as a refresher for problem posters. This is just a thought, now your opinion?? Later---

if this ain't the right place move it. thank yew

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Is there any way to make it so newbies and problem posters are blocked from posting until they either read/reread and sign off on rules page just like signing off on user agreement before continuing to install software.

When was the last time you actually read a user agreement? You can't actually force anyone to read the rules.

But if they need to sign off on them before posting as you suggest, at least we now have definite recourse to slap hands. They can't complain about being reprimanded.

When was the last time you actually read a user agreement? You can't actually force anyone to read the rules.

But if they need to sign off on them before posting as you suggest, at least we now have definite recourse to slap hands. They can't complain about being reprimanded.

The last time I loaded software that I had never used before.
Any sailor knows read the ship's articles before signing on. So you don't have any gripe if the Cap'n sets you adrift in a row boat for doing some thing stupid. Later---

User agreements are notoriously long and dry. . :(

User agreements are notoriously long and dry. . :(

No joke that's why you stock up on your favorite beverage before settling in to read that mess. Later---

Member Avatar for diafol

I know UAs should be read from start to finish, but like a lot of other people, my life is too short. The obigatory 100,000 words, most of which is technical jargon and legalspeak, is set out to confuse, p*ss off and blame YOU. I particularly like the, "if you do not adhere to these rules, I shall fornicate with your wife and the title deeds to your house shall be transferred to me."

If you wanted a UA, make it succinct and to the point. Max 100 words. That's 10 short sentences. Any more and users lose the will to live. I'm not a politically correct animal, in fact I hate all that PC stuff, but a positive asserive slant on rules can be more effective that the Biblical, "Thou Shalt Not".

One site I tried to join, iStockPhoto? (can't remember), had a Q&A on its UA - a sodding comprehension test - would you ever?? Well, it stopped me joining until I had to re-read the conditions for the 40th time. That's the problem of having a goldfish brain.

on the goldfish brain comment are you referring to the i-dot that made that test a requirement, it sounds a non code method to weed out computer spammer auto sign up program. Later---

Member Avatar for diafol

Hah - no the goldfish brain was mine. I couldn't remember the answers!

Hah - no the goldfish brain was mine. I couldn't remember the answers!

That's called C.R.S. older you get worse it gets. LoL. Later---

thread over 30 days with no more comments I started it ,I'll retire it. Later---

No I'm here. Don't wait up at night. Later--

Why resurrect it just to retire it? Strange. Later--

Wow! This Later-- trend is catching up. Later--

Wow! This Later-- trend is catching up. Later--

You're right.If not now then it'll catch up Later--

commented: :P +0

hell, i can't even read this thread.

Why resurrect it just to retire it? Strange. Later--

It was fun to see reaction, made me fall out my chair now posting from floor.Later---

wow. is this our first very own Daniweb meme? 4chan better look out. Later--

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.