I do a lot of Google searches for tech-related stuff, and somehow end up with this site at the top of a lot of my search results. And EVERY SINGLE TIME I click on a link to this site, I get the [DELETED] 'join our community' popup window.

I don't plan on participating here, and of course I gave you a fake email address when I signed up, but I just came here to ask you to PLEASE TURN IT OFF!!! If you're going to insist on annoying the hell out of visitors to try browbeating them into joining your 'community' (another one of those 'web 2.0' buzzwords that's grossly overused, then At the VERY LEAST, set a cookie and only display it ONCE, and have it pop up on the bottom right of the browser window or something, instead of popping up RIGHT IN MY FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - Sad as it may seem, even after I signed up, I got yet ANOTHER popup window wanting more personal info. Are you guys for real!?!?

jephthah commented: u mad? +0
annoyeduser commented: Absolutely right. good thing they seem to have removed it now +0

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

We just dislike you and thought you needed some extra clicking to do. I've only had that pop up once on my screen, ever.

commented: Excellent :) +0
Member Avatar for diafol

CyberSHOUTERS and exclamationists!!! deserve everything they get.

CyberSHOUTERS and exclamationists!!! deserve everything they get.

He will get over it before he gets married again,noisy child wasn't it. Later---

> I don't plan on participating here
You just did. Now keep yourself logged in and you'll never see it again.

I absolutely second the OP.
Those popups ARE annoying.
I just want to browse the forum, I don't want to participate to the community.
And, by the way, the login button on the top does not seem to do anything, I had to resubscribe, yet with another fake address to write this (probably useless) post.

But, not all hope is lost! A little Greasemonkey script does the job of getting rid of the annoying popup (funny thing, they called the div "nagWindow"...)

commented: who cares what you think? +0
Member Avatar for diafol

Angry anti-participation forum browsers who post to the community forum. What next?

I was going to write something sarcastic about contribution and extracting the urine, but I'm in the grips of apathy.

commented: ROFL! +0
commented: You must have a very high opinion of yourself. +0

I also think the popup is very annoying. I finally got registered, because I have found very useful topics in here, but a lot of times, I have to look in somewhere else while the popup loads and screws up what I'm reading.
I think it is a bad idea to keep the popup here, it don't seems to match to a serious site. A little time ago I thought it as a threath/spam/advertisement.
I think many ppl left this site on their first visits as I did in the past.
Get it as a recommendation, but please keep doing the nice work!!

Tnx!

Member Avatar for diafol

So you registered and started contributing. That showed you Dani! See what you did with that popup of yours Dani - you've forced these poor souls to register! Shame on you!

Of course I'll contribute when I can, and I have not been "forced" by that popup.

I'm just giving my opinion on what could give this site a better place to visit (at least for me and a few more). So take it easy as is

It's very poor UI. It's very very poor UI. It's somewhat narcasistic to think everyone leans on the big chance to join your community. Most of the time, your posts aren't the answer and no wonder, you run off the people you want in. You DON'T cater to the people you need by your poor antics.

This community has been growing year on year, and continues to do so. Sure, there is churn as in every online community and some long term members will eventually leave. However, we do not chase them away they choose to leave for many reasons. The important thing being that there is always plenty of fresh blood to replace them.

UI changes are made, you might find this hard to believe, to improve the experience not make it worse.

If, as you suggest, the support provided by the DaniWeb community was poor most of the time then we simply wouldn't have survived this long in such a competitive marketplace and we sure as heck wouldn't continue to be growing.

Remember, for every person who complains about changes there are thousands who do not. Dani does, again no matter what you may think, read every post here and take every view into account. But being open to criticism and comments does not mean that she has to act upon every suggestion - they are suggestions, they are noted and Dani keeps them in mind when she is developing the site.

The notion that DaniWeb management somehow sees itself as being apart from the membership, and acts selfishly, is pretty laughable in my opinion. Dani, Eyal and I are all members of this community and every decision taken is taken in order to ensure the community continues to grow and prosper - it's as simple as that!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.