I thought I would suggest and ask "Why doesn't Daniweb have a IT wiki?" I'm sure there would be plenty of members to contribute. Is there any reason dani or is it a thing that's coming soon?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

> I thought I would suggest and ask "Why doesn't Daniweb have a IT wiki?"

More spam to worry about for moderators/super-mods/admins maybe? Not to mention the host of questions from beginners asking/begging/demanding ready code for their assignments diluting and completely destroying the concept of a wiki...

Yep, have to admit that I'm not convinced that a wiki would be a good fit for DaniWeb to be honest.

If spam is the problem then what is wikipedia's solution? Wikipedia turned out great as a force of volunteers clean up the mess (the users). So surly the same concepts could be applied to daniweb. Then all you would need to do theoretically is have 1 person delete homework answers. I don't know the secret to raising a large online community but I thought it would be a great idea to have a wiki where books/tutorials/code/guides/faq's could all be made.

IMO, Wikipedia belongs to a different league altogether. I mean it's *Wikipedia* which has a *lot* of voluntary contributors/moderators, maybe even a few paid ones.

Trust me, a lot of effort has gone into making Daniweb user friendly (groups, blogs, tutorials etc.) but with the amount of traffic Daniweb attracts, spammers almost always end up abusing things one way or the other. You might be surprised at the sheer amount of time we moderator spend in fixing code tags, deleting spam, moving posts around etc. With an *open* wiki, it would be nothing short of hell. :)

So, no, a wiki won't be that good an idea, at least not without a decent sized staff to keep a lid on things.

With all due respect, "mods don't want to moderate" is a lame excuse. Maybe recruit mods from people who are both knowledgeable in the forum in question AND those who want to play janitor (rather than simply being a frequent poster?)?

With all due respect, "mods don't want to moderate" is a lame excuse.

With all due respect, we have more then enough to do as it is right now.

Maybe recruit mods from people who are both knowledgeable in the forum in question AND those who want to play janitor (rather than simply being a frequent poster?)?

Since I've became a moderator, I'm no longer a frequent poster in my favorite forums (C++/C). This is because being a mod is more or less the same as being a janitor. Perhaps this was different in your time?

im not ever a moderator, and the thought of implementing and maintaining a wiki for this site sounds like pure hell.

if you really think it's tenable, why dont you give it a shot? you can make the "Unofficial Daniweb Wiki".

see what happens.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.