Is there anyway to delete your own post?

I have found my self replying to threads that are weeks old. I could edit the post but would removing all the text remove my post?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

nope.

I have found my self replying to threads that are weeks old.

If you made a descent reply, then why want to delete it?

I have found my self replying to threads that are weeks old. I could edit the post but would removing all the text remove my post?

If you made a descent reply, then why want to delete it?

And if you didn't make a decent reply, why not? :icon_mrgreen:
or
If your reply did descend, pick it up and try harder :icon_twisted:

And if you didn't make a decent reply, why not? :icon_mrgreen:
or
If your reply did descend, pick it up and try harder :icon_twisted:

I actually had to use babelfish to find out if you were making fun of my English :icon_neutral: . But: nice one! :)

I actually had to use babelfish to find out if you were making fun of my English :icon_neutral: . But: nice one! :)

:confused: Your English seems really good to me... where are you from? I figured you were, at least, from an English-speaking country....

PS It took me a second to realize what Walt was getting at too :P

The answer to this is no for a good reason. I'm sure that people like Dani don't want the whole of daniweb being deleted because of deleted posts so IMO it is best to not be able to delete posts. Also why would you want your post count to go down instead of up?

I could edit the post but would removing all the text remove my post?

As far as I'm aware removing all the text from a post by editing it does not delete the post but make you look like a fool replying with no information. No offense but could you imagine a person who's posts are usually empty. That would look ridiculous. So always say something smart instead of nothing.

Ok, fair enough.

I don't like replying to old threads that's all, never mind.

Member Avatar for diafol

Here's a thought, how about checking the date of the last post before adding your contribution? Or is it you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

If you have time (within 30 minutes of the original post) just remove all the text and write "<deleted>" or something like that, then PM one of the mods who MIGHT delete it.

Yup, you have thirty minutes and that's it, then whatever diatribe, venting, extremely bad coding help, etc., is set in stone for eternity, public for all the world to see.

You have thirty minutes, and that assumes no one has REPLIED to your post (hence putting YOUR post in THEIR post), in which case it's up there for good even if you edit your own post within thirty minutes.

You must then go into damage control mode and either say something extremely intelligent or witty in a follow-up post that makes everyone forgive you for your lousy earlier one or create some fake user who posts something completely unacceptable on the thread that takes everyone's attention off your real dumb post and draws it to your fake dumb post, and maybe if you're really lucky it is so offensive that the thread actually gets closed or maybe even deleted and hopefully it'll slide into oblivion.

Or I suppose you could be really careful when posting and Preview it before submitting it so you never have to regret anything, but what fun is that?

commented: "damage control mode" .. that was a good one, great ideas. +0
commented: I'll have to try that! Excellent description. +0
commented: Hehe, nice one :) +0

You must then go into damage control mode and either say something extremely intelligent or witty in a follow-up post that makes everyone forgive you for your lousy earlier one or create some fake user who posts something completely unacceptable on the thread that takes everyone's attention off your real dumb post and draws it to your fake dumb post

Great Scott! I wish I had thought of that several years ago when I posted something really stupid. I'll remember that next time :)

But just remember not to call your fake user Ancient Dragon Jr. Maybe Old Lizard or Decrepid Firebreather, something like that would hide your identity...

Or I suppose you could be really careful when posting and Preview it before submitting it so you never have to regret anything, but what fun is that?

Isn't that like reading the directions? Well known last resort of all smart people. (Snicker) Later---

Member Avatar for diafol

Publish and be damned. I get drunk quite often and find the daniweb page on the laptop when I crawl out of bed in the mid-morning. You know that 'oh sh*t' moment...

You know that 'oh sh*t' moment...

Especially when you check your user-control-panel the next day and see all kinds of thread which you're apperantly now subscribed to.
"O please...I hope I said something witty/smart" :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.