Perhaps I am blind, but I can't seem to find the "Start a new Tutorial" button or a option in the dropdownlist of the form that pops up when you click the button "Start a new Thread".

How do you start a new tutorial?

~G

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

At the moment there is no method to enable direct posting of tutorials by members. This was removed in an attempt to clean up the tutorial section and improve the quality of the tutorials that do appear. For now, the approach is to contact me (via PM) with your ideas and your tutorial submissions can then go through a process of peer review to ensure accuracy etc before being published if deemed of acceptable quality. This can take some considerable time, I'm afraid.

The whole subject of tutorial submissions is something that will be discussed at admin level once the new site design has gone live and any bugs have been ironed out, so do bear with us for a month or two on this one.

i think a peer review is absolutely necessary for tutorials.

i mean, just look at the sad state of "code snippets"... there's some horrible, non-working stuff in there.

if i didn't know this site, and i came across some of those snippets, i would be inclined to think they were sanctioned by the admin, and that this whole place was a joke and run by idiots.

Yes I agree code snippets is a joke. Why? Because most of those posted in the past few months are not code snippets at all but just questions in which the op erroneously selected code snippet. Then the mods have to go in and correct those posts.

well, those can be excused becasue the poster thought they were posting a question correctly.

the worst is these code snippet "programs" that with deprecated Turbo C libraries: they don't compile, they're so horribly written they're unreadable, and even if you take out the non-standard stuff, they're still broken and don't do what they're supposed to do.

well, those can be excused becasue the poster thought they were posting a question correctly.

the worst is these code snippet "programs" that with deprecated Turbo C libraries: they don't compile, they're so horribly written they're unreadable, and even if you take out the non-standard stuff, they're still broken and don't do what they're supposed to do.

Haha, still harping on the Turbo C, I see.

I agree. A lot of forum-first-timers, will probably not know what a 'snippet' is. Maybe we need it needs a "what is this?" link next to it.

They won't click the link. They don't care. Remove the Code Snippet option if there are fewer than 20 posts.

commented: It would save me from having to come up with "clever" ways to report ones that aren't code snippets! +0
commented: Good idea :) +0
Member Avatar for diafol

Code snips a waste of time? Maybe. It's just frustrating that the forums are stacked with the same questions, time after time. It's getting a bit stale. If there was an usable/obvious place to shove codey bits 'n' bobs, perhaps it would stop the repetitive wheel of strife. Just wishful thinking again. Easier to spend the time typing 'Needz code urgent. Help me now', I suppose.

How about mods choosing good bits of code from the forums from time to time and placing them in a hall of fame type thingy? Means you can't post to it, just snatched. Well, have to be sure it's original stuff though.

Code snips a waste of time? Maybe. It's just frustrating that the forums are stacked with the same questions, time after time. It's getting a bit stale. If there was an usable/obvious place to shove codey bits 'n' bobs, perhaps it would stop the repetitive wheel of strife. Just wishful thinking again. Easier to spend the time typing 'Needz code urgent. Help me now', I suppose.

How about mods choosing good bits of code from the forums from time to time and placing them in a hall of fame type thingy? Means you can't post to it, just snatched. Well, have to be sure it's original stuff though.

Nobody [that I saw] is arguing that code snippets are a waste. Only that people do not use the code snippets feature appropriately. If anything, people should post more code snippets - even if it is obvious and easy to the person posting it, there are always tons of people who it could help.

Member Avatar for diafol

Nobody [that I saw] is arguing that code snippets are a waste. Only that people do not use the code snippets feature appropriately. If anything, people should post more code snippets - even if it is obvious and easy to the person posting it, there are always tons of people who it could help.

Sorry if you misunderstood, I was referring to the feature as used. Code snips are extremely important, but all too often somebody with an ego the size of mine (big) and coding ability to match (very small) will post a horrendous piece that has all of DW's screamers coming out of the woodwork to, er, well, scream. I was just floating the idea of having some sort of system where a code snip is chosen on merit to be worthy of inclusion in an official thingy. I'd agree that at the moment, code snips are used incorrectly - usually be newbies just trying to post some general code.

If anything, people should post more code snippets - even if it is obvious and easy to the person posting it, there are always tons of people who it could help.

But only if they come to the forums within a week or so of the snippet posting, otherwise they get lost in the annals of time. If they were organized and referenced somewhere, they'd be more useful.

How about mods choosing good bits of code from the forums from time to time and placing them in a hall of fame type thingy?

More work for mods? Oh noes... :-)

Member Avatar for diafol

More work for mods? Oh noes... :-)

Go on, you know you want to.:twisted:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.