Member Avatar for diafol

Well, I found a way to use my own css in Chrome - bit of a fiddle, but used .user.js to change some settings and to hide things that don't interest me. All that social bookmarking malarkey, adverts and menu items I never use. In addition, I placed the fixed toolbar at the top instead of the bottom. Good feature, but I hate it at the bottom.
Still working on replacing the icons. Managed to change the fontsizes and weird colours. My colour scheme is sick as a parrot, but I like it. One drawback - coz it's js - it's a bit slow.

WASDted commented: Go LAKERS!!!! +0

@ardav Could you please PM me this, please. (currently I'm using Firefox but are more than willing to start using Chrome)

I have a suspicion that one of the problems is that the Post width has actually been made too large. When reading text the human eye can only go down the page so fast as you scan from the end of one line to the start of the next. This means that for very long lines of text you need extra space between the line or your eye overshoots the line. In the worst case you actually skip lines.

I don't think that Daniweb is at this worst case but I do think that the post lines are so long that the eye overshoots and has to correct upwards when it reaches the beginning of a new line making reading a strain.

This can be tested as currently Daniweb can be shrunk until it is about 930px wide by adjusting browser width (my screen res is 1280 x 1024) and at that width it seems to me that reading Daniweb gets easier on the eye.

On the old site that big margin for the side bar had the effect of doing this for you.

commented: This is a great point. You should be a usability expert! +0
Member Avatar for diafol

Now why would somebody down vote me for that? He he he.

Just an experiment to see how much work would be involved with tweaking things. Not meant to be taken too seriously.

Anyway, seems like some work still going on. I like the expand/collapse first post - or was that there in the beginning?

Member Avatar for diafol

@MS - thanks, that's great - should be a lot easier than my cobbled solution. However, installed Stylish, enabled codes for certain domains - no banana.

Hmm, will have to investigate.

Works brilliantly in FF.

I have made a change to the way that quote tags are handled.

If you use the Post Reply button next to a post and quote the post exactly, the quote bbcode will include both the username and postid that you're quoting. If you do this, the quote will be hidden until it's rolled over.

However, if you just use

or

then the post will be visible.

Test:

@MS - thanks, that's great - should be a lot easier than my cobbled solution. However, installed Stylish, enabled codes for certain domains - no banana.

Hmm, will have to investigate.

Works brilliantly in FF.

VS

I say stuff

I have to agree that the post are to wide now. I have to shrink my browser in order to get a window where I don't have to turn my head to see the whole line. BTW my res is 1280 x 1024 on a 19" monitor

Member Avatar for iamthwee

@Dani

Yes but now you have two systems of quotes??

Where is the consistency. . .What is the harm in having the quote auto expanded?? You keep on insisting on having the quote auto collapsed is a good idea.

Why . . . why . . . why?

Look you're a bright girl . . . but . . . wait . . . stop and think.

You're trying to appease the war activists by putting a pretty bow on your nuclear war head? Why not just rid of the nuclear warhead?

commented: As a test perhaps? So we can test BOTH options? Calm down! Jeez +0

So far, I'm a Big Fan of the new layout! Granted, it will take some getting used to but overall I think this is a much more professional design and hopefully, with a few tweaks here and there (and most of our feedback taken into consideration), the new skin of DaniWeb will prove to be much more efficient and user-friendly. I think it will..

In the meantime, here are a few things that might warrant some consideration (and i apologize if these were already mentioned):

1. In a subforum, I cannot 'Go to the Last Post' in a New Window (or Tab). Holding Ctrl and clicking the image(?) keeps me in the same window/tab. Additionally, Right clicking the image or link does not bring me the option to open in a new tab. So far, this is the only area of the site that fails to bring me the link in a new tab but perhaps there are others?

2. I noticed a lot of feedback saying that the font throughout the site was too big. Keep in mind that you might have set the 'Zoom' on your browser too high. I originally thought the text size throughout the the site was way too small but that was because I had my browser zoomed out for the old DaniWeb design.Hitting Ctrl+0 to reset the zoom on my browser did the trick and I now see fonts as they were intended. Wonder if that will help anyone else?

3. Minor annoyance but i was expecting an option to edit my profile info on my actual profile page. Realized i had to navigate away to the CP in order to update my diggs.

4. I might be missing something but has the "View all Unread Posts" option been removed?? As a moderator, I found the option to be extremely useful. Currently, is the only option to browse the subforums and look for anything marked as "New?"

What is the harm in having the quote auto expanded?? You keep on insisting to have the auto collapsed is a good idea.

Why . . . why . . . why?

If you read this thread, you'd see there is a clear explanation. Most quotes are of an entire post, which you've just read (posted above the post with the quote) and all they do is just add clutter and not really any value to the post. These quotes are posted with the "Reply" button on each post. Having these hidden is a *good* thing if you really think about it.

If you manually quote someone, which means you're picking out specific text that a user said, then this adds a contribution to the post your making, and under this new change it would not be hidden. Thus solving the problem that a small amount of people that use this site are complaining about.

I think this is a great idea, and is the best of both worlds.

commented: Disagree +0

Yeah i must say i agree with Dani and Tekmaven. I really like this compromise, it will also give you a very quick idea about what they are quoting.. see i dont really need to read the quote if it is exactly the same but if they just have an excerpt then perhaps i will need to read it.

So i like it, nicely done dani.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

You've made, your point. . . I'm making mine.

The whole point about web-site should be their consistency. Especially if you're brand new.

What I'm saying is, there *is* consistency. If you quote and entire post, it gets auto-hidden otherwise it shows. Consistency just means it's repeatable.

Just thinking, the MFF is not very clean. It keeps looking very messy.

Most quotes are of an entire post, which you've just read

Says who? I see people like WaltP post "short quotes" all the time, and these are by far the most useful. I very rarely see entire posts quoted. Where do you get this info from? Seems like BS..

and all they do is just add clutter and not really any value to the post.

At the worst, this is the same as saying that you don't trust your users to quote things intelligently. At the best, why not disable those kind of quote altogether if all they do is add clutter and no value? Seems to me you just contradicted yourself.

If you manually quote someone, which means you're picking out specific text that a user said, then this adds a contribution to the post your making, and under this new change it would not be hidden.

Exactly. So if picking out specific text adds a contribution (and you're all for showing the entire quote in that case), and the full post quotes don't add any value to the posts, then why not fully adopt the quotes that myself, WaltP, and others are arguing for.. and get rid of the other kind? Your points just make no sense...

Well, I found a way to use my own css in Chrome - bit of a fiddle, but used .user.js to change some settings and to hide things that don't interest me. All that social bookmarking malarkey, adverts and menu items I never use. In addition, I placed the fixed toolbar at the top instead of the bottom. Good feature, but I hate it at the bottom.
Still working on replacing the icons. Managed to change the fontsizes and weird colours. My colour scheme is sick as a parrot, but I like it. One drawback - coz it's js - it's a bit slow.

I am more minimalistic. ;)

commented: testing something.. +0
commented: Mad props, is that Lynx? or perhaps I suspect you made your own? +0
commented: Awesome =) +0

Why are there ads visible next to the first post within a thread? I don't want to click expand post to get rid of it. I want it to not be there at all, it is distracting. And for threads where that is the only post, it causes the "post reply" box to be off-center.

On a good note, I think the 'view reputation comments' button is in a much better place now, it works better, and it doesn't cover up the entire post. And the process of giving reputation to someone makes more sense since it is more closely tied in with the up and down voting system.

I have made a change to the way that quote tags are handled.

If you use the Post Reply button next to a post and quote the post exactly, the quote bbcode will include both the username and postid that you're quoting. If you do this, the quote will be hidden until it's rolled over.

However, if you just use [[B]quote[/B]] or [[B]quote=cscgal[/B]] then the post will be visible.

So all we have to do is remove the postid from the QUOTE tag... A little clunky, but workable. Can we consider these two styles a test and after a little time remove one form once we've used them both?

Also, the left edge of the MMF box is too far left and the forums are cut off. Please align the edge of the button and the edge of the box.

stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff

Testing it out. If it is that easy then I'll get used to it as well. But I still think that click to show and hide is better.

It would be awesome if each individual user could set what they wanted, such as auto hide or auto show. That would be nice, because i am rather fond of the auto hidden quotes.

commented: that strikes me as a bad idea. user-specified color, font, size, etc is one thing, but to modify content defeats the purpose of hving a discussion in the first place. +0

2. I noticed a lot of feedback saying that the font throughout the site was too big. Keep in mind that you might have set the 'Zoom' on your browser too high. I originally thought the text size throughout the the site was way too small but that was because I had my browser zoomed out for the old DaniWeb design. Hitting Ctrl+0 to reset the zoom on my browser did the trick and I now see fonts as they were intended. Wonder if that will help anyone else?

May I remind you of the fact that heavy posters are professionals when it comes to using a browser. I don't think anybody complaining about the font size has the browser zoom function active. At least I don't. In fact, I never use it. If a website is written the way it should, you never need a zoom function.

[edit]After pressing [very big]Post Reply to this Tread[/very big] I noticed that you need the zoom function to read the quote[/edit]

Member Avatar for diafol

Urghhh. Will be back next week to have a look. Perhaps then all the yukkies will be sorted. This is just frustrating the hell out of me. I can't get a handle on my posts and the Threads I've Posted In doesn't give a sorted list in time, so a thread I've just posted to doesn't show up at the top.

THis is just getting to be too much hassle. Retrograde.

commented: sadly, i agree. i've lost my enthusasm to post here much, other than to complain.. the useability and layout changes grate on my nerves. +0

Urghhh. Will be back next week to have a look. Perhaps then all the yukkies will be sorted. This is just frustrating the hell out of me. ... getting to be too much hassle.

sadly, i agree. the usability layout color font size etc... all of it really combine to grate on my nerves.

it's like an unpleasant experience every time i log in.

Also, the left edge of the MMF box is too far left and the forums are cut off. Please align the edge of the button and the edge of the box.

OK someone tell me what is the MFF box? I think I know what it was on the old layout but I don't see anything light that on the new layout.

BTW is it me or has the general post rate taken a hit?

OK someone tell me what is the MFF box? I think I know what it was on the old layout but I don't see anything light that on the new layout.

MFF -> My Favorite Forums; something which you see at the bottom of the page next to "Todays Posts".

BTW is it me or has the general post rate taken a hit?

No, it really has. I guess, the regulars here are pretty busy with understanding how things work and the real posting/moderation activities has taken a back seat. Let's hope this issue is resolved soon so that we can get back to our daily routine. :)

Another glitch

The "Unanswered Posts" tab of the forums is not working correctly (sorry if this has already been mentioned)

The "All Threads" tab remains highlighted and what is displayed is all threads.

Another glitch

The "Unanswered Posts" tab of the forums is not working correctly (sorry if this has already been mentioned)

The "All Threads" tab remains highlighted and what is displayed is all threads.

Fixed :) Thanks for the catch.

Sorry guys - I may be a bit geriatric but I don't need 1/2 inch high lettering just to compensate for the garish colours.
And please reinstate the poster's reputation and solved thread count info on posts - it's the only easy way to see whether that person knows what they are talking about.

commented: word +0
commented: agreed +0

The "Unanswered Threads" link at the bottom doesn't show the forum names. That was very useful because I could just ignore those that I was not interested in. Now I have to click every link to find out what forum its in. That makes Unanswered Threads nearly useless.

[edit]Well, I found the forum names -- its soooo obscure like its just an afterthought. It takes a whole lot more time to scan the list of links and pick out only those for the forums I want.

And what is Trending? An odd name for something :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.