Dani seems like a nice place for development support, I got to know about it only today from a friend's tweet feed and came to check.

First thing I did was hovering over the different menus to see what the different sections are, and since I am working on a project on Android platform I was specifically interested in a mobile phones or android development section, and it was kind of shocking that I couldn't find any.

Facing many problems with my project I started looking up solutions for them online and there wasn't much over there, most results were from Stack Overflow and I noticed there is not enough good quality resources that I could use.

I and sure many others do really wish to see an Android section soon here and more support for mobile Dev. in general on community forums and sites.

What do you all think ?

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Maybe as a sub forum of Java...

Maybe as a sub forum of Java...

Yes, in case if Android only will be added, but why not iPhone too?

I personally prefer the separate section (or sub-section like the game development under software development) approach, for it is a main area of development now with potential of a considerable penetration in Web browsing and general access in the next few years.

There is no reason for such a forum. How may people have posted questions on DaniWeb about mobile? I suspect next to 0. Dani won't add new forums unless there is a clear and large demand for one. One person (you) does not a large demand make.

Plenty of people have posted various questions in the Java forum about developing for mobile devices .. Peter Budo usually answers those questions. But I do think it is a bit too specific for Daniweb. Those kinds of devices usually have their own communities dedicated to questions about development.

The usual rule of thumb applies: if you can find enough recent, active and busy threads on the subject and point us in their direction, then a new forum might be considered. Without evidence of such a demand, then forum creation is usually frowned upon - indeed, over the years we've culled various forums as they were chronically underused.

Ancient Dragon there's actually two of us who support the idea, myself and Ramy Mahrous and this is "50%" of the total votes on the poll.

Here is an old member stating a demand too:

Plenty of people have posted various questions in the Java forum about developing for mobile devices

-BestJewSinceJC-

Well I get your point everyone, but thing is that I am not actually considering myself as demand as some might see it, I'm not even to be considered an active user yet to have the right to "demand"... I was simply suggesting the idea, and I added the poll for the old members who support the idea to put their voice out there and those who oppose it to state why they do for me to understand why such a forum is not to be considered seriously in spite of all the fuss and the general direction toward mobile devices.

This is totally a friendly thread and is not made to critique Dani or the people behind it.

I would still love to use the existing forums of interest to me.

Have a productive time and please give your vote, the thread has been viewed 122 and got only 4 votes.

>> I'm not even to be considered an active user yet to have the right to "demand"...

I think you misunderstood the use of the word "demand". Nobody said or implied that you are demanding anything. Use of the word demand means something else entirely, such as "a large demand for katsup" means that there are a lot of people who want to buy katsup. That is the way the word demand is being used in this thread.

Thank you for the vocabulary lesson :), but I actually understand what the word demand means in this thread...

Maybe if you cared to read my post well enough you would have noticed I mention your specific usage of the word in the first part of my sentence, and that the second mention between the double quotations has nothing to do with what it implies in your post or anyone's at all, intentionally.

Thanks again though.

Ancient Dragon wasn't trying to be rude, just point out the distinction since in your previous post it seems like you didn't understand. Either way, as I said, there have been a large number of posts about mobile development, but if there was a forum for it, it would not have good traffic. The questions about mobile development only get posted a few times a month.

In other words, feel free to post your questions in the forums mentioned.

Thank you for the vocabulary lesson :), but I actually understand what the word demand means in this thread...

Maybe if you cared to read my post well enough you would have noticed I mention your specific usage of the word in the first part of my sentence, and that the second mention between the double quotations has nothing to do with what it implies in your post or anyone's at all, intentionally.

Thanks again though.

[offtopic]
If I insulted you I am truly sorry -- there are a lot of members here whose mother thoung is something other than English, and English has a lot of suttle differences that they may or may not understand.

On the otherhand I've come across many people whose mother toung is something other than English who write English better than native English speakers. Propably because they have to study it more intensly. I know many native English speakers who can not put two words together to make a comprehensible sentence, and its getting worse with texting so widly used now.
[/offtopic]

-- tongue -- :icon_wink:

Apparently Dani agreed with the OP:

Mobile Dev forum

Have fun.

gave in to his demand to create a new forum for spammers to have a good time in...

I know. The word "iPhone" is for spammers what sugar is to ants...
So I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that this works out.

Apparently Dani agreed with the OP:

Mobile Dev forum

Have fun.

Well then I think she needs to add a new forum for MS-Windows like I asked (and was rejected/ignored) over two years ago. There are hundreds of posts in the C and C++ forum that ask questions about win32 api.

commented: I'm for that! +0

Well then I think she needs to add a new forum for MS-Windows like I asked (and was rejected/ignored) over two years ago. There are hundreds of posts in the C and C++ forum that ask questions about win32 api.

Or take this one step wider and make a GUI-forum, which also includes wxWidgets and QT and...? I think there may be enough posts for such a forum to succeed.

This forum option still does not show in regular drop down. Wonder if it is so on purpose or dani forgot to include it in drop down...

Its in the Software Development menu -- at the bottom.

@Peter:

Did you try to ctrl-F5?

@Peter:

Did you try to ctrl-F5?

You right, it need it only cache clear ;)

I think yesterday's Google I/O keynote proves my point even more about where the industry is heading.

Thank you for the new forum :).

I think yesterday's Google I/O keynote proves my point even more about where the industry is heading.

Thank you for the new forum :).

And I though it would be thank you moderators for moving existing stories to this new forum section :(
But then it would be self-advertising :D

Hopefully soon I can start adding some small bits from Android development...

And I though it would be thank you moderators for moving existing stories to this new forum section :(
But then it would be self-advertising :D

Hopefully soon I can start adding some small bits from Android development...

OK let me reformulate it then:

Thank you Dani for the mobile development forum, moderators for filling it up with all the old threads :)

EDIT: I will contribute what I can on Android also.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.