3

...

>> "the designer" .... you mean it's not you ?
>> who is this person? give us their name!

...

> http://jess3.com

so we discover this new website design was developed by some "Jess3".

I don't know anything about this developer, but it's funny how their own homepage looks like a mishmash of crap all slapped together at the last minute, in one big long run-on stream with hardly a concern ot organization or presentation....

I mean, if was going to present my web designs, as a web design company, I think I might want to spend a little bit of time organizing my own portfolio in a halfway coherent manner. I don't know... maybe just a little bit.


well, anyhow im relieved that this was a third party developer. because i thought it was Dani's personal backyard project where she got a couple buddies and hauled the engine block out with a pulley hooked to an old oak tree ... i felt bad about ragging the design so much, that she would take it personal.

but i'm also surprised that this is a third party professional developer.

because it's damn near unreadable and almost makes my eyes bleed.

well with the new facts revealed here's my suggestion: put a stop payment on the check and file breach of contract. it seems obvious they put some vision-impaired intern on this project.

there's just no way around it. it's godawful.

Votes + Comments
Have to agree with you on Jess3 - piss poor
Well spoken
17
Contributors
53
Replies
56
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by diafol
Featured Replies
  • 2
    Dani 1,638   7 Years Ago

    I am talking to colweb and jephthah. Read More

  • 2
    Ezzaral 2,714   7 Years Ago

    I can haz more chaos? Read More

  • [QUOTE=cscgal] Because I don't want to have to scroll past 50 lines of something that I just finished reading every single time someone uses the "Post Reply" button and quotes the previous post ... Hence hiding is the default when using the Post Reply button. then that actually is more … Read More

  • 2

    Dani most certainly is listening, and acting upon many of the points raised in this forum. However, there is a difference between listening and accepting every argument made. If you want real chaos then that would come if Dani just caved every time someone disagreed with some element of site … Read More

  • 3
    diafol 3,669   7 Years Ago

    [B]>I'm new to Daniweb, but I seriously won't be here too long if all I see are the most active members complaining... [/B] Goodbye. Read More

0

It shouldn't be to difficult to find a professional designer or company that knows what they are doing and can make a fully functional website like this one.

Or is jess3.com chosen for financial reasons?

It is just a thought, but there are quite a few professionals member of Daniweb. Maybe for the next overhaul you could make it a "members" project. Changes are that the site will come out a lot better than the current.

1

well, anyhow im relieved that this was a third party developer. because i thought it was Dani's personal backyard project where she got a couple buddies and hauled the engine block out with a pulley hooked to an old oak tree ... i felt bad about ragging the design so much, that she would take it personal.

You don't think she'd take this personally EITHER???

As I understand it, she has probably spend thousands of pounds on site design, colour theory, plane trips and being surrounded by a team of professional advisors.

Edited by iamthwee: n/a

0

...

>> Too many cooks spoil "teh" frigging broth. :-)


word. webdesign by consensus is probably the most surefire way to ruin a project. i'd be afraid of that one.

Edited by jephthah: n/a

0

..

Too many cooks spoil "teh" frigging broth. :-)

Just think of it like Linux. That is made by many following a strict guideline.
Anyway, it was just a thought :icon_smile:

Edited by colweb: n/a

0

Can everyone PLEASE stop incorrectly using the Quote tags on purpose. It makes things MUCH more confusing.

Just do

Too many cooks spoil "teh" frigging broth. :-)

for heaven's sake. Grr.

0

Can everyone PLEASE stop incorrectly using the Quote tags on purpose. It makes things MUCH more confusing.

Just do for heaven's sake. Grr.

How is hitting the "Post Reply" button using quotes incorrectly?

Edited by Ancient Dragon: n/a

1

She's referring to putting "..." in quote and placing the quoted text below the actual quote.

Edit: Cross-posted :)

Edited by Ezzaral: n/a

0

I am talking to colweb and jephthah.

How did you make that quote without the "Click to Expand / Collapse" on the right that is already open and not click-able (it doesn't close/open when clicked).

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

If every time I want to quote somebody the quote would behave like in your reply, there wouldn't be any need to do it otherwise.

0

Remove the post ID number from the quote bbcode, so that it looks like

and not

Thanks. It seems we now have 3 methods to quote. And who thinks this is easy for new users? Or is only me who finds this very confusing.

EDIT: It seems not possible to quote your last reply this way.

Edited by colweb: n/a

-1

I don't think you get it??

Yes I have, see that you can't quote something with quote tags in it.

But why isn't this the standard way to quote? Or when someone presses quote give a choose how to do it (with or without number and name, with or without number, with or without name).

0

> But why isn't this the standard way to quote?
Because I don't want to have to scroll past 50 lines of something that I just finished reading every single time someone uses the "Post Reply" button and quotes the previous post ... Hence hiding is the default when using the Post Reply button.

But for those of you who want to quote things manually, by typing in something like

, then that actually is more of a new contribution that adds value to your post, and therefore shows up non-collapsed by default.

0

Thinking about it, why not the following system for quotes:

- name and link to original post in the dark gray header part of the quote,
- always visible, but only the first 10 lines (or less is the quote is shorter),
- if the quote is longer, "Click to Expand" to view the full quote and
- if expanded, "Collapse" to bring it back to max 10 lines.

That way everybody can quickly see what the quote is about and if desired, can expand to see the whole quote.

Have read a lot of postings here about the "post reply - quote" system, but haven't seen this suggestion so far. In my opinion it would be a significant improvement immediately understood by everybody (that is; including new members).

0

...

>> Can everyone PLEASE stop incorrectly using the Quote tags on purpose. It makes things MUCH more confusing.

sorry gotta disagree. It makes it much LESS confusing. Contrariwise, either of the new default methods make the quotes difficult to read at best, or a terrible disruption to the flow (and still difficult to read) at worst.

The inline quote system is effectively broken.

This "intentional" quote method not makes the quotes readable, but clearly distinguishes them as quotes (italics) while correctly sizes their importance as their being key to keeping the reply in proper context.

Edited by jephthah: n/a

0

Can everyone PLEASE stop incorrectly using the Quote tags on purpose. It makes things MUCH more confusing.

Just do for heaven's sake. Grr.

sorry gotta disagree. It makes it much LESS confusing. Contrariwise, either of the new default methods make the quotes difficult to read at best, or a terrible disruption to the flow (and still difficult to read) at worst.

The inline quote system is effectively broken.

This "intentional" quote method not only makes the quotes readable, but correctly sizes their importance as key to keeping the reply in proper context while the use of italics and indents clearly identifies them as a quote.

whereas you can plainly see how this method only serves to obfuscate, rather than clarify.


.

Edited by jephthah: n/a

0

Dani you need to take the feedback of your users way more seriously. You didn't fix the quotes to anyone's satisfaction (still hidden by default, still hard to read due to black on gray) and you also have made no changes to the large fonts.

(I know I said I was leaving, but Community Feedback forum doesn't count.)

:p

Attachments quotesarebroken.png 184.62 KB
0

With everybody using their own way to quote - deliberately or by accident, it all leads to chaos. Unfortunately - this was the case before the redesign too. Even Dani used the:

>this and that

Will I be "given an infraction" (I still hate that semantically incorrect phrase), for repeatedly and deliberately ignoring the quote bar and using:

>this and that
?

If not, I shall be using it liberally - well until quotes are displayed by default.

//EDIT
Oh, did I mention that this site is STILL purple? Anyway, Stylish on FF allows me to see it in baby-puke yellow and I've now disabled the quote nonsense in Greasemonkey. Ahh, almost halcyon.

//ANYWAY
Was it the boss that hijacked this thread by talking about quotes? Back to Jess3 methinks. Their portfolio site is awful. I'm sure that they're good guys, but OMG. My first year Dreamweaver students have designed better landing pages.

Edited by diafol: n/a

0

Thinking about it, why not the following system for quotes:

- name and link to original post in the dark gray header part of the quote,
- always visible, but only the first 10 lines (or less is the quote is shorter),
- if the quote is longer, "Click to Expand" to view the full quote and
- if expanded, "Collapse" to bring it back to max 10 lines.

That way everybody can quickly see what the quote is about and if desired, can expand to see the whole quote.

Have read a lot of postings here about the "post reply - quote" system, but haven't seen this suggestion so far. In my opinion it would be a significant improvement immediately understood by everybody (that is; including new members).

Then you haven't read my post on the 1st or 2nd day...

4

Because I don't want to have to scroll past 50 lines of something that I just finished reading every single time someone uses the "Post Reply" button and quotes the previous post ... Hence hiding is the default when using the Post Reply button.

then that actually is more of a new contribution that adds value to your post, and therefore shows up non-collapsed by default.

So basically the underlying assumption before someone even posts is that whatever they quote won't add any value because 99.99% of the time it's just people mindlessly quoting the 50 lines in the post directly above you. So because you don't want to read the same 50 lines twice that you just read twice, it's hidden by default. If we're one of the 0.01% of the people who don't mindlessly quote something and instead actually think about what we're quoting in order to "add value" to the post, we have to go through these elaborate workarounds.

First off, where on Earth do you get these statistics? I see it a lot by the people ASKING the questions, but I rarely see it in the people ANSWERING the questions. Second, supposedly this is a forum for "IT Professionals", so we've done a term paper or two, plus we've learned how to write documentation and we know enough not to mindlessly quote the 50 lines directly above without providing any context. You don't last in this business if you do that. It's been said before and I'll say it again. The only people who do that are newbies. Professionals don't need to be told not to do that. They need to be given the tools to compose thoughtful posts and they need to be trusted to do so.

Votes + Comments
It has a ring of truth!
beautiful, man, just beautiful. thoughtful and well-put.
0

IMO, she isn't listening. At this point, the only way to effectively make the point is to refuse to help anyone in any forums, unfortunately.

2

Dani most certainly is listening, and acting upon many of the points raised in this forum. However, there is a difference between listening and accepting every argument made. If you want real chaos then that would come if Dani just caved every time someone disagreed with some element of site design or rule implementation.

For what it's worth, Dani has listened and fixed the following so far:

  • Reputation and solved threads in member's posts - DONE
  • Polish the MFF design - DONE
  • Fix up the white papers section - DONE
  • Fix icon in thead listing pages that says whether you have posted in the thread - DONE
  • Make threads with zero replies differentiated - Fixed bug in Unanswered tab
  • Fix problem where navigation menu hides behind tabbed navigation and member profile chart in IE - DONE

Other stuff is still being worked on, and worked on for far more hours in the day than most of us are happy to put in.

A little less Dani bashing would probably go a long way. Refusing to help anyone in the forums is, to be honest, not going to sway anyone to your point of view. If something is going to be changed it will be changed depending upon the merit of that change as determined by Dani after considering the arguments made by folk here. It will not get changed as a result of holding any forum to ransom.

0

A little less Dani bashing would probably go a long way. Refusing to help anyone in the forums is, to be honest, not going to sway anyone to your point of view. If something is going to be changed it will be changed depending upon the merit of that change as determined by Dani after considering the arguments made by folk here. It will not get changed as a result of holding any forum to ransom.

@happygeek, May I remind you that a site like this only exist and can stay alive because of its members.

If members are dissatisfied you can expect them to stop posting or even to leave.

And without its trusty members Daniweb can't survive.

Edited by colweb: n/a

1

> If members are dissatisfied you can expect them to stop posting or even to leave.

I think they are/have. Unfortunately.

However, I think blaming Dani for the ills of the new design is a bit unfair. We've all had our bit of banter and had a poke at features that don't work properly, but all in all, the site is still functional. Broken bits and bobs are being fixed. Okay, it may take a while, but AFAIK, Dani is working hard on the fixes as opposed to answering each little quibble in these forums. I have a list of pet hates, but I'm a realist - there's no way all these items will be ticked off in a week from now. Some will never be resolved to my satisfaction. But hey, I'm not the one losing revenue from advertising. I'm not the one that should be worried. I gotta say - I still think it's down to this insidious purple thing. I've turned it off - but I reckon it's warping your minds, sending you off your trolleys. Go to greyscale before it's too late!

Votes + Comments
what happened to your custom CSS?
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.