On the top level forum list

• Not being able to collapse categories constantly irritates me.

In a forum

• Need a link back to the forum list
  • Mark forum read and page links are at the bottom of the page. These should be available at the top of the page too.
  • Marking a forum read takes me to the category page. I think either not leaving the forum or going to the top level forum list makes more sense.
  • I think the Reaction column and Last Post column should be swapped.

In a thread

• Need a link back to the forum list
  • Page links are at the bottom of the page. These should be available at the top of the page too.
  • The quick reply box needs an icode button.
  • The Similar Threads list seems randomly chosen. :icon_rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 38 Replies

>>Need a link back to the forum list

Unless I misunderstood, there already is a link back to the forum list near the top of the page.

>>Need a link back to the forum list

Unless I misunderstood, there already is a link back to the forum list near the top of the page.

If you're talking about the bread crumbs, it only goes back to the category, not the main list. For example on this thread:

Community Center > Daniweb Community Feedback > Short wish list

I want it to go one further (the way it used to be):

Forums > Community Center > Daniweb Community Feedback > Short wish list

I guess I'll take this opportunity to tell things which have been bothering me for quite some time after the upgrade:

• The font family; it's bad IMO, to an extent that the font face ends up giving more importance to the surrounding bell-n-whistles and less importance to the content. Many here would agree with me that we have to *squint* our eyes to read the question. This is amplified by the smaller font used inside quotes having the same font family.
  • The color scheme used; I really don't have problem with purple but the way a post is represented (white background inside light gray) again ends up putting strain on the eyes.
  • Different colors for read/unread threads. Icons are nice but the link color *needs* to change. This is because it has been always this way. If I have to look at images to see which threads I've read/not read, it ends up being quite a bother.

Other than these things, I really don't see anything else which would be a big hindrance when browsing/using the site for a long period of time

commented: that sums up everything that still bothers me. +0

>> I guess I'll take this opportunity to tell things which have been bothering me for quite some time after the upgrade:

• The font family; it's bad IMO, to an extent that the font face ends up giving more importance to the surrounding bell-n-whistles and less importance to the content. Many here would agree with me that we have to *squint* our eyes to read the question. This is amplified by the smaller font used inside quotes having the same font family.
  • The color scheme used; I really don't have problem with purple but the way a post is represented (white background inside light gray) again ends up putting strain on the eyes.
  • Different colors for read/unread threads. Icons are nice but the link color *needs* to change. This is because it has been always this way. If I have to look at images to see which threads I've read/not read, it ends up being quite a bother.

Other than these things, I really don't see anything else which would be a big hindrance when browsing/using the site for a long period of time

QFMFT

commented: That quoting method is worse than awful. Pick one method and stick to it, don't combine them. +0

Narue >> That quoting method is worse than awful. Pick one method and stick to it, don't combine them.

okay, fine. I like the concept of quote tags, and i like the boxed out separation, but the font face makes me ill.

so i'll go back to the old newsgroup variation.

Narue >> That quoting method is worse than awful. Pick one method and stick to it, don't combine them. okay, fine. I like the concept of quote tags, and i like the boxed out separation, but the font face makes me ill. so i'll go back to the old newsgroup variation.

But there are still possibilities remaining! :icon_surprised:

commented: Think inside the box! Not bad. ;) +0

*super sigh*

commented: lol :-) +0
commented: Smile it will get better. Mwaah! x +0

*super sigh*
cscgal- You started this hornets nest, when you set off high explosive in the future use a longer fuse. LOL hee hee. Narue stop banging your head it just gives you a head ache and then you have to repair the wall. also hurts my head to watch. Later---

*super sigh*

Even more sigh, the "decrease size" and "increase size" buttons are rather weird. Usually an up-arrow means "increase", not "decrease" :confused:

commented: doesn't to me kiddo +0

In the post editor, you mean?

yes :) I know there's a logic behind it, but there's another logic in my head that's the exact reverse ;)

also very interesting that you can report your own posts as being in violation of the rules :)

i like to do that to myself occasionally.

also very interesting that you can report your own posts as being in violation of the rules :)

We allow this because sometimes we tell members to report their own posts if they need to bring it to moderator's attention for whatever reason. I forget specific incidences but Davey or Sanjay would probably know.

We allow this because sometimes we tell members to report their own posts if they need to bring it to moderator's attention for whatever reason. I forget specific incidences but Davey or Sanjay would probably know.

That happened just the other day. I got a PM from someone wanting a thread he started removed and I suggested reporting the first post as the most expedient way of having it looked at.

> I forget specific incidences but Davey or Sanjay would probably know.

Fixing CODE and QUOTE tags after the 30 minute permissible time period would be one of them. If memory serves me right, members have even requested the updation of their submitted code snippets/tutorials via the report bad post button. Though I must admit that the chances of someone reporting their own posts is pretty rare occurrence.

Oh, and not to forget those who probably want their post deleted after getting help here. ;-)

Julienne is going to kill me so I am going to duck and hide as soon as I say this. Forum index is being deprecated in favor of the site's navigational structure being homepage -> one of five categories -> forum -> thread type (news, etc.) -> thread. *RUNS* *HIDES* *SCARED FOR MY LIFE*

How much customization do you have planned for the homepage?

As far as what's planned, a lot :) Ultimately the homepage will be filled with drag-n-drop modules similar to the custom Google homepage.

As far as what's currently live, ...

The top of the homepage provides you with a list of forums it recommends for you. Of all the ones it recommends, you can tick off the checkboxes next to the ones you specifically want to see on the homepage. You can then click the little arrow to collapse the forum chooser.

Below the forum chooser are modules for each of the forums you picked from the list. There is a list of the last five threads in each forum that have been posted in, and quick links to the forum pages and today's posts/unanswered posts for each forum.

Below the forum modules are news stories and product reviews headlines which are related to the forums you picked.

In the sidebar are most recently created threads and top threads within the forums you picked.

You can change the forums you select at any time and all of the content on the homepage changes instantly to reflect your new selection.

The forums you choose get saved to a cookie so the next time you go to the homepage, the forums you want to see are preselected.

If you deselect everything, the latest news stories and threads in the sidebar are taken from across all of DaniWeb. Additionally, you have the option to tick the checkbox that says "Do not show a custom version of the homepage" to fetch from across all of DaniWeb. This is beneficial if you quickly want to see the latest news stories across the site without having to change your selected favorites.

Member Avatar for diafol

Just a question - how many regular members actually use the homepage?

I land there occasionally, but don't stop there. If I'm not interested in stories or social stuff, will there be anything worthwhile (for me) in the next makeover. I'm a simple beast. Threads I've Posted In and manual search of php/html/community is about as far as I go.

I remember suggesting this type of drag/drop feature some time ago (http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post1146516.html#post1146516). Will you get bangs-for-bucks with this feature?

As far as what's currently live, ... [blah blah]

I'm most interested in threads with new posts for my preferred forums. These are the threads I visit; everything else is just in the way 99% of the time. Here's a typical run through Daniweb:

1. Go to the forum list and check for new posts in the forums I frequent on a daily basis. While I may gloss over the less frequently visited forums, I still like to know if there are posts there. Having the whole list readily available but not always in my face was especially important when I was super mod.
  2. Visit the first forum with new posts from top to bottom.
  3. In the forum, scan the threads with new posts and visit the first one that seems interesting.
  4. Speed read the posts checking for interesting topics and/or things I want to comment on.
  5. Reply if desired, mark the thread as read.
  6. Go to 3 if there are more threads with new posts.
  7. Mark the forum as read.
  8. Go to 2 if there are more forums with new posts.

The current homepage does not streamline this process for me. Will the future homepage meet my needs?

> I'm most interested in threads with new posts for my preferred forums.

On the current homepage, you can instantly see the last five threads to be posted in within each of your preferred forums. Additionally, you can see a mashup of the latest threads that were started in your preferred forums, and the top threads (based on votes and popularity) within your preferred forums.

The homepage also gives you links to New Posts, Today's Posts, and Unanswered Threads in each of your preferred forums as well as sitewide.

There is more to come, but I don't have the implementation ironed out yet, so I don't want to say it's coming in a certain way and then it doesn't.

On the current homepage, you can instantly see the last five threads to be posted in within each of your preferred forums.

What about if there are more than five threads with new posts? Does the homepage even differentiate between threads with new posts and threads without new posts? It appears to take only the last post date/time into consideration. As stated previously, I don't particularly care about threads until they have new replies.

Additionally, you can see a mashup of the latest threads that were started in your preferred forums

Not especially useful, in my opinion. I'd rather have a structured approach than a "mashup".

top threads (based on votes and popularity) within your preferred forums

Also not terribly useful considering my usage patterns.

I don't want to say it's coming in a certain way and then it doesn't.

The implementation is largely irrelevant as long as you take our use cases into consideration. As it is, I'm completely uncomfortable with using Daniweb because I don't like the current state of your preferred method (the homepage), and my preferred method (the forum list and structured navigation) no longer works cleanly. This inbetween state is very awkward.

Member Avatar for diafol

Is there a way to use Search Forum? I managed to find it via search site, then choose search in the breadcrumb. Sorry if this has already been asked.

BTW - if there any point to the homepage MFF, Today's Posts, Unanswered Threads etc if they are already in the bottom PURPLE menubar?

Dani:

I like how you've organized the tabs in each forum so that I can easily switch between filters. The option was there before (I think?) but I never used it. One idea for that area .. it would be cool if members could create their own "custom sorts". For example, you give a list of options and members can combine the options. For example, given the following list of options:

"My favorite forums"
"Unanswered Threads"
"Today's posts"

It would be awesome if I could make a custom filter that produced the results "Today's unanswered threads in my favorite forums", which would just be an && of all of those options I listed above. This could also allow you to define a set of generic filters, but allow members to add their own or remove ones they don't want from yours.

I don't know if this changed since last time I looked at the homepage or not, but I like the system you have with 'Recommended Forums' and how that causes the homepage to be customized. That being said, after I select the forums that I want, the 'Recommended Forums' list should not be in my way anymore. Even if I minimize it using the box you've provided, the next time I go to the homepage, it is in my face again.

Speaking of searches... I don't know if this has been mentioned before or in this way, but, search forum, just the forum, not the site, and/or perhaps a selection of forums to search but exclude all the others... just a thought...

Speaking of searches... I don't know if this has been mentioned before or in this way, but, search forum, just the forum, not the site, and/or perhaps a selection of forums to search but exclude all the others... just a thought...

Click on the Search button at the top without filling in anything. Specify the forums you wish to search.

The homepage content I mentioned in my previous post doesn't save between log ins? Its probably a cookie or something but should be saved as settings for each user IMO, so it should work anytime you log in.

As requested in the first post, what are the chances of getting the page number at the top of the page too?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.