Hello

I have seen that the Forum has changed look and appearance wich is okay.

But where is the "Views" on a thread, I can´t beleive this is replaced with Popularity. I have never seen a forum that doesn´t have "Views". Popularity is not a good idéa at all.

It is impossible to see if anyone have checked the thread. I could post this 100 times, I think you get my idéa. It really feels handicapped to know what is happning on the thread.

Regards

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

But in the forum list it does show replies, which lets you know if anyone has replied to the posting and that surely is more important than the number of people who have looked at it.

After all, if 100 people have viewed your question but nobody has provided an answer why would you care? Yet if 1 person has answered your question does it matter that you don't know how many have looked at it?

Anyway, once you click into the post itself the views are then shown.

I'm not sure I understand why this is such a problem for you, sorry.

>>Anyway, once you click into the post itself the views are then shown.

Where?? I don't see it in this thread.

Oh nevermind, I found it.

But in the forum list it does show replies, which lets you know if anyone has replied to the posting and that surely is more important than the number of people who have looked at it.

This is true. But I'm still trying to figure out what this popularity means. I'm looking at the main page for this forum an see:
18 replies, 2 bars of popularity
2 replies, 2 bars
5 replies, 1 bar
17 replies, 3 bars
2,3,8,10 replies: 1 bar

I see no need for this popularity key. How is it useful? Does it really help?

If you hover over the popularity bar, You'll see the total number of views for that thread. I remember Dani mentioning this sometime ago.

Does anyone know how popularity is computed? Is it forum dependent or is it weighted against all post in daniweb? I'm just curious because so far I cant see a pattern.

It's an algorithm based on both views and replies. If you hover over, you'll see the number of views and replies that it is based on.

Member Avatar for diafol

>It's an algorithm based on both views and replies. If you hover over, you'll see the number of views and replies that it is based on.

Seems reasonable. Can't say I find it useful though. Most new threads tend to be low on the old views and replies. I tend to stay away from threads over a few days old anyway. The only time I've found it useful is when a long-petrified thread is re-animated by some sig spammer. It stands out a mile. I know to avoid it.

I still think something is off though. Today I saw a post with 3 pop bar and it had 1 reply and 81 views and the post right before it has 1 pop bar and it has 8 replies and 2116 views. the one with more replies and views is older so does that come into play? (replies + views) / time post has been around ?

Yes, the amount of time that a post has been around does play a factor, primarily if the thread is less than a day old.

Makes sense. Thanks dani.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.