Ok, so I thought I kinda sorta understood the reputation thing... I thought I did...

As far as I could figure it was based partially on your own reputation, partially on your overall avtivity within the forums, partially on your status (member/moderator/etc)...

But now I'm really really confused lol.

Me:
Power to Affect Someone Else's Reputation Positively: 1 points
Power to Affect Someone Else's Reputation Negatively: -1 points

This guy:
Power to Affect Someone Else's Reputation Positively: 2 points
Power to Affect Someone Else's Reputation Negatively: -1 points

So, would it be safe to assume that how LONG you've been a member plays a role as well? Because I'm curious how someone with a total of 5 posts and a reputation level of 10 has the capacity to rate people moreso than someone with 238 posts and a reputation level of 43 :confused:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I just gave you more rep to see if that would change it, but that didn't help either.

Well thanks for the rep (I'm not gonna say no to good rep :P ) I dunno, it's not like it's world ending or anything. I was just curious as to how it actually works since I couldn't really find anything definitive when I tried a search about it. It seemed odd that someone who's more active and (in stats at least) more 'productive' towards helping the community would have less ability to affect rep than someone who isn't as active and such :)

it is not easy to seprate power and reputation, and i think u can just follow your mind to decide what you think

Nick did a good job of coming up with the approximate formula used when deriving rep:

This is how I figured it's sort of working; you get +1 power for:

1. each year of membership
  2. every ~1000 posts
  3. every ~500 reppoints
  4. negative rep power is half your +power with floor-rounding

The entire thread here (Area 51).

commented: I know it doesn't work in feedback but, it's the thought that counts right? +0

Nick did a good job of coming up with the approximate formula used when deriving rep:

The entire thread here (Area 51).

Seriously... HOW did I miss that when I did my search? hehe thanks for that :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.