Some issues from the redesign were discussed and have now fallen well off the radar so I wanted to bring them back to page one:

- "Edit/Delete" button: Complete misnomer, because it does not offer the ability to delete.

- No [icode] button on either of the post editors. Some who answer questions here do use that tag.

- Page navigation on multi-page threads and forums is still only at the bottom, along with the Mark Forum Read option. It's a pain in the ass to have to scroll to the bottom to see/navigate other pages of a thread. You cannot even tell that a thread has more than one page unless you go to the bottom of the page.

- The "Start A New Thread" button at the top of the forums is barely distinguishable from a line of text and does not readily present itself in the forum listing.

- Font/table size on the forum thread listings is still huge. Luckily this can be dialed back smaller in Firefox or I would have given up trying to read the listings at all.

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

> "Edit/Delete" button: Complete misnomer, because it does not offer the ability to delete.
Well it does Delete, but only for moderators. So I will edit it so that the Delete part only shows up for mods. I keep forgetting to do this!

> No

button on either of the post editors. Will work on that too :)

> Page navigation on multi-page threads and forums is still only at the bottom That is currently by design, but I will see if I can do something about it while still achieving all of my design goals.

> The "Start A New Thread" button at the top of the forums is barely distinguishable from a line of text and does not readily present itself in the forum listing. There is an enormous button at the bottom, and a smaller button was added to the top to appease people who wanted access without having to scroll. There has been absolutely no decrease in the number of new threads being created on a daily/weekly basis that would indicate that the 'new thread' button is now harder to find than it was in the old design.

> Font/table size on the forum thread listings is still huge. Large, but not huge ;) This is by design and I currently don't have any plans on changing this one. Sorry!![icode]
button on either of the post editors.
Will work on that too :)

> Page navigation on multi-page threads and forums is still only at the bottom
That is currently by design, but I will see if I can do something about it while still achieving all of my design goals.

> The "Start A New Thread" button at the top of the forums is barely distinguishable from a line of text and does not readily present itself in the forum listing.
There is an enormous button at the bottom, and a smaller button was added to the top to appease people who wanted access without having to scroll. There has been absolutely no decrease in the number of new threads being created on a daily/weekly basis that would indicate that the 'new thread' button is now harder to find than it was in the old design.

> Font/table size on the forum thread listings is still huge.
Large, but not huge ;) This is by design and I currently don't have any plans on changing this one. Sorry!!

> "Edit/Delete" button: Complete misnomer, because it does not offer the ability to delete.
Should be fixed, but I am still seeing Delete b/c I'm an admin. Can someone else confirm?

Fix'd!

>Well it does Delete, but only for moderators. So I will edit it so that the Delete part only shows up for mods. I keep forgetting to do this!

Thanks!

> No

button on either of the post editors. Will work on that too :)[/QUOTE]Thanks!

[QUOTE]> Page navigation on multi-page threads and forums is still only at the bottom That is currently by design, but I will see if I can do something about it while still achieving all of my design goals.[/QUOTE]I think it's more of an issue on multi-page threads, since you cannot tell they have more pages unless you scroll to the bottom. It's more of a convenience thing with the forum listings.

[QUOTE]> The "Start A New Thread" button at the top of the forums is barely distinguishable from a line of text and does not readily present itself in the forum listing. There is an enormous button at the bottom, and a smaller button was added to the top to appease people who wanted access without having to scroll. There has been absolutely no decrease in the number of new threads being created on a daily/weekly basis that would indicate that the 'new thread' button is now harder to find than it was in the old design.[/QUOTE]I'm just judging by the number of thread hijacks. Anything to get "START A NEW THREAD!!!!" more in their face is a good thing in my book ;)

[QUOTE]> Font/table size on the forum thread listings is still huge. Large, but not huge ;) This is by design and I currently don't have any plans on changing this one. Sorry!![/QUOTE]Ah well, at least Firefox helps out on that one.[icode]
button on either of the post editors.
Will work on that too :)

Thanks!

> Page navigation on multi-page threads and forums is still only at the bottom
That is currently by design, but I will see if I can do something about it while still achieving all of my design goals.

I think it's more of an issue on multi-page threads, since you cannot tell they have more pages unless you scroll to the bottom. It's more of a convenience thing with the forum listings.

> The "Start A New Thread" button at the top of the forums is barely distinguishable from a line of text and does not readily present itself in the forum listing.
There is an enormous button at the bottom, and a smaller button was added to the top to appease people who wanted access without having to scroll. There has been absolutely no decrease in the number of new threads being created on a daily/weekly basis that would indicate that the 'new thread' button is now harder to find than it was in the old design.

I'm just judging by the number of thread hijacks. Anything to get "START A NEW THREAD!!!!" more in their face is a good thing in my book ;)

Large, but not huge ;) This is by design and I currently don't have any plans on changing this one. Sorry!!

Ah well, at least Firefox helps out on that one.

> I'm just judging by the number of thread hijacks.
Well if that's the case, it has NOTHING to do with how big or small the button is or where it is located on the page. People do a google search, come into an individual forum thread, and reply to it without ever even getting to the forum listing page. I guess it's a matter of putting a new thread button somewhere near the quick reply box.

Agree with Dani, thread hijackers would do the same even if a huge flashing popup box offered them cold hard cash to start a new thread. Button size has precious little to do with it, Internet 'gimme what I need now' syndrome has everything to do with it.

Well, it seems that way anyhow :)

Page navigation issue taken care of (finally!!)

Thanks!

It looks like the multi-page note isn't working quite right on Firefox:
"You are currently viewing page 2 of this multi-page discussion thread; Jump to the first page"
is showing as
"You are currently viewing of this multi-page discussion thread; Jump to the first page".
The "page 2" is not actually visible, yet shows up in a copy-paste operation.

Gah, the Chrome ad blocker strikes again.

Please explain your reasoning, since us users consider it huge. We are at a loss trying to understand why the font must be so large. Maybe some insight would ease our minds...

>Gah, the Chrome ad blocker strikes again.
Actually, it's Firefox, Adblock Plus, and NoScript. I'm not running Chrome.

Ezzaral: Try disabling Adblock Plus? It's one of those ...

WaltP: The look that I am going for is along the lines of digg.com or stackoverflow.com, putting thread titles front and center because that is what the call-to-action for 99% of our website traffic is going to be. The millions of visitors who browse DaniWeb are going to find usernames and forum titles meaningless because they are not yet acquainted with DaniWeb's structure or our community.

Yes, it's Adblock Plus, though the listing of items doesn't show anything blocked on that page.

Adblock's list of blockable items on the page. It shows which are blocked and which are not. On that particular page, there were only two hidden items blocked and neither of them appeared to be related to any of your site scripts.

the words "page 3" are wrapped in a <span> tag with class "ad_text". Your ad blocker is blocking everything with class ad_text even if it is not an ad.

>> Your ad blocker is blocking everything with class ad_text even if it is not an ad.

I hate it when software does too much work :)

Yeah, this is the same issue that caused all posts to not show up a couple months back! That's how I knew what the problem was so quickly.

Thanks for fix, even full page dials on top. What a luxury! I would like though something less verbose instead of "You are currently viewing page 13 of this multi-page discussion thread;" for mobile use.

I would like though something less verbose instead of "You are currently viewing page 13 of this multi-page discussion thread;" for mobile use.

^ Agreed; something like "Page 3 of 3" would be pretty awesome.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.