Not with that attitude it won't :icon_twisted:

I gave someone rep this morning and increased his rep rank from #800,000 (or so) to #400 something :icon_eek:

Member Avatar for diafol

Not with that attitude it won't :icon_twisted:

You're right! But at least you didn't give me positive rep - small mercies!

>> I gave someone rep this morning and increased his rep rank from #800,000 (or so) to #400 something

Yeah, you have a rep-power of a gazillion-something :)

The point was that there were almost 800,000 members with less than 34 rep points. Statistically, that must be 99% of the members :icon_eek:

The vast majority of members have 10 rep points, which is what new members have by default. Once you jump from 10 to 11 your rank goes up by like six figures.

Member Avatar for diafol

> The vast majority of members have 10 rep points, which is what new members have by default. Once you jump from 10 to 11 your rank goes up by like six figures.

Meaning that 90%+ members don't contribute anything useful / nobody bothers to give them rep for useful stuff. Ouch!

>>Meaning that 90%+ members don't contribute anything useful

Most members are here to receive help, not to help others; so this percentage is not really surprising actually.

Member Avatar for diafol

No not surprising, just disappointing. I would have got away with it if it weren't for you pesky leeches! ;)

Too bad that isn't in English.

Member Avatar for diafol

>Too bad that isn't in English.

Why? The internet is global. You've got tools like Google Translate if you don't understand something. OK, it's not perfect, but it's better than my Polish. Some of my favourite sites are in languages other than English.

Anyway the link is great. Never seen the site before.

Some of my favourite sites have no words at all...

Very interesting information. India seems to be the main visitor, sadly South Africa only has 1.2% visitor rate....

I think its an awsome idea..... Being a newcommer myself, my rank is in the dump, but fear not my fellow tech-heads, I plan on rising to the heights, the likes of whick no Daniwebster has achieved........

Great, look forward to it as long as no spamming is involved :)

To me the reputation/points/ranking are all sort of irrelevant. My girlfriend is amused when I tell her I've leveled up, so that's okay, but really, I answer questions that I know how to answer and I occasionally join in a discussion when I'm stymied on some real work. I don't see how any of these features are going to change my behavior. However, if they produce good results and make people happy I see no harm in them.

Has there been any thought given to derived rankings? Solved threads/postings might be interesting, and it would filter out some of the posting games points... :)

There are rankings based on three criteria: posts, reputation and solved threads; the top posters based on solved post count shown here is I guess what you are looking for...which fortunately filters out some of the posting game points. :-)

Oh, the details aren't that interesting to me. I know who's saying sensible stuff in the forums I read, and I know who's asking serious questions with an interest in learning and I can spot someone who just wants me to do his homework for him - I don't have much use for the rankings. I'm here for the craic, that's all.

I raised the question more out of academic interest than anything else (I'm pretty verbose, any correction for word count or posting count would probably hurt my rankings severely! :) ). If you're looking to achieve something with these numbers, which it seems y'all are, it seems to me that composite data are likely to be more useful than the raw stuff. After all, what are the odds that the most useful data are the first ones you happen to lay your hands on?

Wow. I have a some pretty good rankage for never even contributing anymore.

Well then you should start contributing again ;)

Christmas coming and I'm planning on reading Android and Python. Just wait till I start spamming :twisted:

commented: Hey, I thought I was the only Java programmer trying out Python! ;-) +0

Watch out Peter, you're not the only game in town! :)

I want to try out Python since there been some buzz about it compliance with Android and also I'm interested how is the web development with it. :)

@~s.o.s~ too many colleagues are pushing for Scala, but so far I did not find it interesting

@~s.o.s~ too many colleagues are pushing for Scala, but so far I did not find it interesting

Same here; I find it too complicated and messy; maybe that's just me but there it is. If I ever think of trying out a new JVM language, it would be Clojure. :-)

Member Avatar for diafol

Glad to see the mods are keeping everybody on-topic! Get a room guys.

commented: Arf :) +0

What shall I say for myself, Top Ten on all beside number of posts ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.