I have posted my entire program on a thread I have started, but I don't want anyone stealing it. How do I edit posts that can't be edited anymore?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Short answer: you can't.

There is a 30 minute window to edit posts and after that they are part of the great public archive that is the internet.

and I'm assuming you can't delete a thread all together either?

Correct.

If you ask really really nice you might ask one of the mods to remove the code you posted, leaving the rest of the post.

How do I contact one of them?

On the post in question, hit the "Flag Bad Post" button and type them a short message.

(but Ezzaral is a moderator, so you've already talked to one, just sayin')

If you ask really really nice you might ask one of the mods to remove the code you posted, leaving the rest of the post.

That would be a wrong thing since removing content from posts which don't violate any rules would be against the rules. I do admit that in the past we had occurrences of moderators removing *things* from posts/threads so that the OP doesn't get caught but that was because that particular moderator wasn't aware of this rule.

Also, removing the code from a programming thread kinda makes it meaningless, no? :-)

Contacting the moderators won't help; read my reply above. Your best bet would be to convince your teacher that you have put in your own hard work when creating this program and give him/her the thread URL so that you can be in the clear.

(but Ezzaral is a moderator, so you've already talked to one, just sayin')

The moderators can edit posts/threads only in their given jurisdiction and AFAICT, Ezz isn't a moderator of the Java forum. ;-)

The moderators can edit posts/threads only in their given jurisdiction

I didn't remember that, so that's mybad.

That would be a wrong thing since removing content from posts which don't violate any rules would be against the rules. I do admit that in the past we had occurrences of moderators removing *things* from posts/threads so that the OP doesn't get caught but that was because that particular moderator wasn't aware of this rule.

Also, removing the code from a programming thread kinda makes it meaningless, no? :-)

Contacting the moderators won't help; read my reply above. Your best bet would be to convince your teacher that you have put in your own hard work when creating this program and give him/her the thread URL so that you can be in the clear.

The moderators can edit posts/threads only in their given jurisdiction and AFAICT, Ezz isn't a moderator of the Java forum. ;-)

I wouldn't delete the whole code just most of it since most of it was meaningless to post. My WHOLE program was copied and pasted, then I realized I didn't have to have the whole world see my entire code, just a few lines would have sufficed.

I wouldn't delete the whole code just most of it since most of it was meaningless to post. My WHOLE program was copied and pasted, then I realized I didn't have to have the whole world see my entire code, just a few lines would have sufficed.

Been there, done that.

Editing posts on demand to remove confidential information (your university portals credentials) is a different thing. Selectively editing posts to remove pieces of code/content is full of gotchas and a real pain in the neck.

There was one occurrence wherein a member requested one of the mods to *selectively* remove images from his post and keep the other things intact. Later, we came to the realization that the entire question looked meaningless without the images. Selectively editing posts requires us to coordinate with the member in consideration to get the post which *he* wants to see, then making sure that what *he* wants is really feasible and doesn't make the thread lose its meaning and so on. In short, too painful to be done as a favour (since the rules anyway don't allow it).

Consider the forum administrator chiming in to say that we stick by our policy of not deleting/editing any post that doesn't specifically violate one of our rules. And, in such a case, the minimum amount of the post is edited so as to conform with the rules.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.