Can anyone offer their thoughts or opinion on how I can get more people to take this thread seriously? I posted an opportunity for DaniWeb members (specifically game developers) to attend GDC and write for us officially. I would have thought that many would be excited, or at least reply and inquire for more info. I even made it stick to the top, but no responses yet, and barely any views :(

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Question... assuming the regular members visit that thread, I'd say 0.01% of those would be qualified/ have the experience to actually reply to that seriously.

Now, chances are you are looking for 'a one of random' who registers who actually HAS that kind of experience. That is seriously one shot in the dark, because they would only come across that thread via a google web search??

Good point, thank you.

okay now... I want to create threads inviting our members (or anyone interested) who are programmers and web developers to write for us. where do you folks suggest would be the best place to post those?

So much for my new lil text blurb on the New Thread page that says "General titles such as 'Help Me' or 'Urgent' are not only unuseful, but can be considered a turn off by other community members, and will often result in fewer replies." :-P

Guess you were right about it being hard to notice. ;)

commented: Are you two flirting? You kids need to get a room. +0
commented: Hahaha :) +0

:P

From what I can tell, we don't really have much expertise in the Game Development section to draw upon. Matt Evans used to provide a lot of good answers in there, but lately it looks pretty dead.

Eyal's second question was not specific to game dev.

I'd say pilot it as a sticky in a couple of high traffic forums (C++ and PHP come to mind, but not necessarily those). You'll get overlap from many of the other forums anyway, and then you can branch out from there. I agree with Ezzaral, posting anything critical in Game Dev (or any other low traffic forum) is a recipe for failure.

> Eyal's second question was not specific to game dev.
Yes, I know. I was referring to the original question.

It is difficult to entice a population that is not present.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

who are programmers and web developers to write for us. where do you folks suggest would be the best place to post those?

You're chief of the forums. I guess you could post it in every programming forum to ensure maximum exposure.

Also what, exactly are you expecting them to write about? Is there a specific criteria? Is there anybody else out there who is writing such blogs? [Not sure if this is still allowed because it has been ages since I checked the blogs.]

I posted an opportunity for DaniWeb members (specifically game developers) to attend GDC and write for us officially.

The DaniWeb Digest newsletter would provide the most bums on seats, as it were, although probably too late for the GDC request by the time the next one is distributed to allow for choosing someone and arranging the logistics of the thing.

But certainly it might work as an appeal to members with the requisite skills and enthusiasm to contact you about writing for DaniWeb.

I'm putting the next newsletter together on Monday 31st Jan, so PM if you want to do something like this along with whatever it is you want included :)

iamthwee: Thanks for your feedback (thank all of you). As far as criteria, basically I am looking for programmers and developers who might like to write some editorial about the language they use, or any specific suites, tools, products, etc. that would appeal to their peers and fellow DW forum members. We are always looking to add value to the community by providing a mix of editorial on the side. Perhaps a few of our members would like to step forward to contribute some tutorials, articles, reviews or whatever they think might be interesting editorial content.

I would love to expand this into something that we can be very proud of, that users all over the world can look to for quality editorial content, expand it even further to arrange cool events, send members to industry events (as press) and compensate them for their contributions. This really is something to get excited about, I think so anyway.

happygeek: yes please! let's discuss.

Ask Narue*. She's one of the very few people here that knows programming *extremely* well, and can also write a decent piece of text in proper English. As you might have noticed, most of us programmers have issues with languages :)

*I have no idea if she would do it, nor did I discuss it with her.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.