I've noticed that my Forum Rank is now "Junior Poster" despite having made 398 posts.

I'm don't mind too much, but just wondered if this was a problem others may have, or if maybe I got demoted :cry:

I've checked a few threads, for other occurances, but haven't seen any. No need to worry if it is just me, but you may want to check if others are effected. I know I was online just before the crash, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Regards, David

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

MartyMcFly,

Mine changed as well. Those, along with the rep power, are virtually useless.

For example, 1,000 unhelpful posts. No better than the Junior Poster with 1 good one. And rep power? Seriously, come on. This is a free website, not Experts Exchange. We're not fighting for points here and most people asking questions don't even know it's there. Their problem is fixed and then they are gone.

J_

Hello folks,

When I redesigned the site, I admit I also did make changes to user titles. I made it so that it is required to have more posts to get to the next stage ... I figured that since we're growing, and more and more people have higher posts, it should be harder to achieve the highest rank. I did't touch rep power though.

Yeah, I don't have any problems with the rep power, only my rank had changed, to a lower rank than those with equal post counts.

I only thought others may have a similar problem, hence this post, but as I'm the only case, I'm sure it will sort itself when I reach the next milestone.

For regular members, user titles are directly associated with postcount. The fact that yours is different than someone else with the same postcount is probably reflective upon the database just not updating everyone yet. It's a bit server intensive to manually force a User title refresh on all 50,000 members at once.

For moderators or for subscribers (there is a $5/month donation) you can come up with your own User title among other benefits.

Hi everyone,

Actually this question is more for dani than for anyone else. My rank used to be a guru poster and now i'm a junior poster. I mean seriously i feel like a loser. Please tell me this a mistake and not the new ranking system.

Richard West

Ranks are solely based on postcount. As more and more people visit DaniWeb and post more, it became pretty silly to top off the highest rank at only 500 posts. Therefore, I decided to up the requirements 10-fold. So it now takes 5000 posts to be a guru poster, etc.

Don't sweat it. In all honesty, it means NOTHING.

There was once this gal named cscgal.
She thought and exclaimed, "Be a millionaire, I shall!"
Then one day, she counted up her money,
Her sequins, her gaint stones, and all her honey.

It summed past a million, and so cscgal cheered,
"I'm a millionaire. I shall be revered!"
And so the crowds gasped, and the horses reared,
But the time of her enlightenment ever so neared.
"You're not a real millionaire," one fat cat sneered.
"We use the sum towards which dollars are geared!"

And so cried the cscgal. She cried and cried and cried and cried,
And cried and cried, and nearly died,
And just a few times, she yelled,
A word that could not be succinctly spelled:

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

But then it came to her mind,
That her money was not lost to someone unkind,
That it was still hers and it was still the same,
That silly titles and words could not alter her fame.

And so she decided, to stand derided.
She stood presided, while others deprided.
And so she had rearranged the rankology,
So others learnt her newfound philosophology.

commented: Exotic, wonderful and a classic. :) +21

Hi everyone,

As more and more people visit DaniWeb and post more, it became pretty silly to top off the highest rank at only 500 posts.

True but i think this rule should only apply to new memberships and not all around.

The place where i work when i wanted to apply for a position there in the 80s you had to have 1 year experience and at least a associate degree to qualify. In 2005 the same presequites only helps you become an intern where i work.

To apply the same position i did in the 80s in 2005 you would require 8-10 years of programming experience plus at least a masters

By your logic should my boss demote me to an intern as well
because of the new rules. Should the ceo of my company also be demoted to a junior programmer as well.

When your site was coming up alot of your old members supported you by filling up your main programming threads by answering questions.

You are quite well known and some of the people that prowl the internet and your site are actually gnu members, ceos and could even your future interviewers and for them is always loyalty comes first. If you don't value the members that help put your site on the map on the internet they will already have doubts as to whether you could have loyalty to their organisations. This really reflects badly on you

End of the day its your site and its your decision but please do the right thing.

Richard West

commented: [Sunny] +1

I really don't see this as a big issue. It is that reason why it says "Junior POSTER" and not "Junior Member" ... "Junior Techie" ... it's a simple reflection on your post count! It has absolutely no validation as far as your helpfulness, your intellect, your knowledge, etc. It is something really to be taken with a grain of salt.

It should not be looked at as a "demotion" ... there are no loss of membership privileges, etc. Should you really feel strongly about this, we do offer a sponsorship plan for $5/month where you can have your own custom usertitle in addition to a bunch of other benefits including access to a behind the scenes forum where you can help influence DaniWeb changes such as this.

freesoft_2000,

If we're talking logic, why be concerned with your rating? You're comparing required job experience, which is a relevant indication or determinate of your capabilities relative, to the job you’re apply for. Your rating tells me one thing, how chatty you are. Whether or not you’ve posted 1,000 bad posts or 1 good one is not determined in the rating. So again, why worry so much about such a useless rating scale?

Let’s say DaniWeb took away the rating altogether; now what? Your rating could be determined by someone reading your current forum post as well as viewing all of the posts you ever made; ultimately subjective, but a much better determinate than the current method. Too bad it’s not automatic. Alternatively, you could stop worrying about what others should assume by looking at your rating and just prove it by making good posts. I don’t assume you could help me any better if you are a master versus a junior poster, nor should you, as a master poster, feel you could help any one person better than a junior poster. But if you don’t feel this way, and I hope that most don’t, why have the rating in the first place? Perhaps for reputation or respect, but I’ll base my decision on the FACT that you either helped me or you didn’t. Beyond that, it’s merely for appearance.

J_

Edit: If you like this post, please add to my rep power.

Well I don't mind, especially after the poem :) just as I was one of the first, thought it could be an error.

cscgal,

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post, but I didn't want to create a new thread.

The question is regarding the number of DaniWeb members. Within your Statistics window you have a link for Members: which has the number 53,199. The link, as you know, takes you directly to the Member List which lists a total of 19,332 members.

What is your methodology for only listing 19,332 members? If it's as obvious as I presume, and if we are talking statistics, why display Members: 53,199? Seems missleading.

J_

cscgal,

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post, but I didn't want to create a new thread.

The question is regarding the number of DaniWeb members. Within your Statistics window you have a link for Members: which has the number 53,199. The link, as you know, takes you directly to the Member List which lists a total of 19,332 members.

What is your methodology for only listing 19,332 members? If it's as obvious as I presume, and if we are talking statistics, why display Members: 53,199? Seems missleading.

J_

I belive that is because members with 0 posts are not displayed in the memberlist.

Members with 0 posts and members who never confirmed their emails and banned members aren't listed in the memberlist.

Members with 0 posts and members who never confirmed their emails and banned members aren't listed in the memberlist.

So, why display Members: 53,199?

J_

Because that is what the vBulletin system reports as the number of members we have. 53,000 people filled out the registration form. 53,000 people can (and do!) login to the site. 53,000 people receive our e-bulletin newsletter. 53,000 user profiles are accessible.

Just because someone doesn't post certainly doesn't mean that they don't login to DaniWeb frequently to read (and perhaps even subscribe to) posts. Before I started DaniWeb, I was a long time lurker on quite a number of forums.

Do:

53,000 people can (and do!) login to the site.

include:

members who never confirmed their emails and banned members aren't listed in the memberlist.

Meaning, if you're going to advertise 53,000+ members, I think that number should represent something useful. Does the person who reads that number think, wow, there are about 53,000 people who can potentially help me; perhaps, but certainly not the truth. Not really sure how a banned user is going to help me, or someone who hasn't confirmed their email. The 19,000+ counts as users who’ve posted at least once, right? Well there’s your meaningful number.

Does the U.S. census include everyone that was born? Well, it does if that's the information you want to know. But if you're providing a census on current U.S. citizens, you won't list the number that ever existed.

Just a little sneaky of DaniWeb to post 53k as the number of members. We’re talking about a 34k discrepancy between completeness and relevance. It's your website, you put whatever you want. But don’t act like it’s not misleading.

J_

Remember, not everyone who registers necessarily does so to post. Some people might find a thread very interesting or helpful, and register just so that they can subscribe to it and get emailed when someone replies.

We also have a Job Offers forum where people post job availibilities. There are lots of IT consultants and freelancers who see the job offers, and register on the site just to send a PM to the employer with their resume or asking more about the job.

I understand what you mean about banned users and users who haven't confirmed their emails, but that is not the majority. Most simply completed registration and have 0 posts, and they certainly are full fledged members!

In the case of the job offers forum, yes, there are 53,000 members who are potential candidates for the job and have the ability of PMing you with their resumes.

In the case of all of the posts, yes, there are 53,000 members who can see what you have written and have the instant availability to see the quick reply box and reply to you.

There are many people who have lurked on the site for months, completely logged in, and just haven't felt the urge to post. Should you post something that appeals to them, then yes, they certainly are a potential person who can instantly talk to you.

Well, you could include a header like "53,000+ registered members, 19,000+ active members"

I don't think it causes much of a problem. The forum statistics, are in line with every other Online forum, so anyone who has an interest, would no doubt compare with other similar sites, or would understand vBulletin and check out the member list. It also shows currently active members as a guide to current usage.

Even then, ~53,000 members, doesn't represent the number of people who benefit from Daniweb. Look at any forum statistics, and you will see that over 80% of people online are unregistered users who are viewing the pages here, no doubt from a web search link. In fact even I have found myself back here a few times from a Google search :)

Just out of curiosity...I'd like to know the amount of posts that are required to progress through the different levels of poster...ie. New poster---->junior poster in training------>Junior poster------>?

If you did a member search and organized it by post count that would probably answer your question.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.