Maybe more complicated than something like MySpace or chatrooms but about the same as other computer programming boards.

Yes we realize there is often some confusion and that's one of the mods job is to move threads to appopriate boards. I know of no one who got scolded for posting on the wrong board. But you will get thrashed for posting the same question on multiple boards, and we rarly have a problem of that kind.

Yes you're right. From reflecting on different forums I have visited on the Internet it is the multiple post that causes anger and hijacking the thread.

Changing a system which works for 99% of the people out there doesn't make any sense.

How do you know that the system works for 99% of the poeple out there? I have already said that (I think someowhere on the thread) that I had an email inviting me to go back to Daniweb as I had not used it for some time.

How on Earth would you know that the system works for 99% of the people? Someone said in the thread that it is computer programming board. It isn't. Although, there is a large number of forums devoted to programing.

I might hazard a guess the Daniweb has more forums than any other website. Probably there is a large proportion of registered users who are IT pros but no one knows for sure.

I admit that it all seems like a storm in a teacup now. But it was not, when I could not find how to post a new post. I used the Search option and found this thread discussing the niceties of the website design and thought I can't even find the option to post a new thread.

Yes the system works for registered users -including me now. But whether it works for the unregistered visitor is an unknown. This is a Feedback forum where suggestions to make Daniweb even better are aired so I think that it is worth discussing.

>>I might hazard a guess the Daniweb has more forums than any other website.
You would be wrong. see www.codeproject.com for one example. DaniWeb is, however, more diverse than any other site I have visited. Most other sites are devited to just one thing, DaniWeb has a lot of different things -- "one stop shopping" if you will.

>>But whether it works for the unregistered visitor is an unknown.
Unregistered users can not start new threads or post to existing ones. All they can do is read the threads.

>>I might hazard a guess the Daniweb has more forums than any other website.
You would be wrong. see www.codeproject.com for one example. DaniWeb is, however, more diverse than any other site I have visited. Most other sites are devited to just one thing, DaniWeb has a lot of different things -- "one stop shopping" if you will.

Thanks for the reference. Not sure it has more forums though. I have forgotten Google Groups that's very large.

>>But whether it works for the unregistered visitor is an unknown.
Unregistered users can not start new threads or post to existing ones. All they can do is read the threads.

Unregistered visitors often find what they need and do not have to post to a thread. Many a time I have found what I need by reading a thread. One of my interests is photography and although I have subscribed to different forums I didn't do so until I needed to.

Personally, and there must be plenty of people like me (possibly older people) who feel slightly uneasy asking for help are reluctant to post a query in a forum. So if my observation has validity the number of users of this and other website forum providers is much greater than its membership. Affliation and other stats will more accurately reflect the number of users I suppose.

I believe what he's saying is that there should be a START NEW THREAD button on the actual thread pages, next to the REPLY TO THREAD button.

Yes exactly,thats how older versions of VBB were and it was ALOT BETTER!!

Vbulletin had the crazy idea to remove the "Post new thread" in the 3.x series

I know you can easily add it back (I was on a site that did that) but you shouldnt have to do that,it was fine the way it was before.......

VBB is slowly going down the tubes in many peoples opinons.... (Alot of ppl dislike 3.7 (First release since the merger))

Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.

Changing a system which works for 99% of the people out there doesn't make any sense.

Tell that to Microsoft, the FCC, and the HDVD and Blu-Ray people.

Yes, what an amazing observation for a time when the notion of system was in its infancy. GBS died at the ripe old age of 94 after injuries incurred from falling from a ladder! You can't get a much simpler appliance than a ladder. Is it part of a system? Well why not: http://thequalityportal.com/glossary/s.htm My view is that the ladder should be wider at the bottom but this modification of the design is only usually seen in agriculture. Perhaps GBS would not have died if he had used a scaffold tower -which is virtually fool proof.

commented: off topic -4

My view is that the ladder should be wider at the bottom but this modification of the design is only usually seen in agriculture.

Construction too.

Perhaps GBS would not have died if he had used a scaffold tower -which is virtually fool proof.

You've never seen "The Money Pit", have you :icon_twisted:

I'm curious about the ladder seen in construction.

Sounds like a good film, I'll watch out for it.

Hi,

I am a new member to this community. How do I post a new thread. I am able to see a new thread button.

Vijaya

How do I post a new thread. I am able to see a new thread button.

Listen very carefully as I will say this only once:

Click the button... :icon_wink:

commented: Good one!!! +2

Listen very carefully as I will say this only once:

Click the button... :icon_wink:

Very amusing -listen? I've subscribed to this thread so I naturally have cllicked to see what someone has posted. The user is right. There is no "Post a New Thread button on the actual thread page(s). Entry to Daniweb via a web search will land the visitor on a thread or on the Home page. I think this is what is happening.

To post a new thread one has to go to the Forum page. Select a forum, then select a sub-forum. And then the button is present.

Just to make sure I did a page search on the source code. And only found what we have been posting. I think that having a link to the forum page for the thread would help. A Start a New Thread button on the thread would take the user to the particular forum page. In this case "Daniweb Community". The "breadcrumbs" could be a different colour as well.

Geoff

-listen?

It was a reference to 'Allo 'Allo, but I guess the 'young' folks will probably not be familiar with that show...

Yes! I remember now :)

Part of the problem is that there is no agreement on what the text on the buttons means.

In this BBS, "Post Quick Reply" is used AFTER you write your post.

In another BBS I use, "Post Quick Reply" opens the text box so you can type the reply. "Save" posts the reply.

In yet another BBS I use, "Post Reply" opens the text box. The text box has another button below it "Post Reply" that posts the message. But the original "Post Reply" button is above the text box, and if you push it to submit the post, it erases your text. It also has a "Save" button that saves your post, so you can go get something, then come back and edit it.

Yes and some cars have an automatic gearbox and some have a manual. Learn to live with it.

I'm trying to find the new thread button, I can't locate it.

You need to leave this active thread, go to the forum you want to post in by using the drop down navigation menu at the top of the page and when you arrive there the 'start new thread' button will be very clearly visible. Hope that helps.

commented: Well said! +2

Yes and some cars have an automatic gearbox and some have a manual. Learn to live with it.

Yes and some cars arrange the gears differently (well they used to) And if they still do not conform to a global agreement? It is OK to live with it if it is sensible. Is it sensible on Daniweb?

Yes and some cars arrange the gears differently (well they used to) And if they still do not conform to a global agreement? It is OK to live with it if it is sensible. Is it sensible on Daniweb?

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or not?

@ nieke_e Depends whether the Daniweb arrangement is sensible or not. Is it really user friendly - easy to understand? If Daniweb needs to be modified to make its use more transparent but that is too time consuming then the user should accept it as it is (in this case I agree with you).

But on the other hand, for example, I'm not sure what a Quick Reply is, and I'm not. Then, if others are puzzled to then modify the site.

I am actually using the Quick Reply option thinking that I don't need to include a Quote or a Multi-Quote and I have noticed that there is an option to Quote anyway in the Quick Reply!

If the service can be modified though to make it easier to use then in that case I disagree with you if it is not modified :)

Daniweb is an excellent resource though. And the user can delve further into the many options if they want or need to.

well< i am tryin to post a thread and cannot figure this site out. Im gettin pretty frustrated and especially at the fact that when u ask a question ppl think its more helpful to reply with smart comments! Is this really the site for me is what I am now asking myself. Please someone with a tad bit of humility please inform me of how to post a new thread. thanks!

It's that bright bold yellow/golden button at the top of the current section page by the Page n of n info. Looks just like the Reply to Thread button.

Oh, and at the bottom of the page to. Can't miss it.

Please someone with a tad bit of humility please inform me of how to post a new thread. thanks!

Go to the forum where you want to post your question and simply hit the yellow/gold "START NEW THREAD" button which you will find located at the top left of the threads listing.

Stick with us, most people are very helpful here.

thank you very much. had never been on this site and was a bit confused where to go. thanks again.

No problem, hope you find the help you are looking for.

OK, I am new to the forum. I've read all the "How do I post" threads, but frankly, I do not see a big yellow [Start new thread] button. I looked at the screenshot and don't recognize the page format either (even though I realize this thread is old.) I will keep looking but in the meantime, can you help me?

That big yellow button does no longer exist. Scroll down to the bottom of any forum menu page (the one in which you want to start a new thread) and you will see a button "Start a new thread"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.