I request every one who comes across this to post you feedback here on this thread.

I just want to understand is it a crime to ask someone to show some effort / the code that s/he is working on before assisting them in solving their issue.

I have been down voted in that thread for asking the OP to show the effort, may be i should have supplied the code without uttering a word. Is that what is expected from me here ?

I am not trying to make and issue out of it, just want to know your opinion guys.

I specially ask the site Seniors / Moderators and Admins to share their valuable thought please.

Regards,
Debasis

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

No, I think you were well within your rights to say that. He didn't offer you any constructive criticism/justification with the downrep, so I wouldn't take it to heart. You contribute a lot to the site, so just let the good reps counterbalance this one.

P.S. The real crime here is that some people still use VB4

Don't take it to heart, is all I can say. Most reasonable people would probably agree with you on this one, but every member has the right to their own opinion and to express that (as long as they do not break the rules in terms of being unpleasant etc) by leaving reputation and up or down voting.

For the record, the OP in that thread was actually breaking the rules:

Do provide evidence of having done some work yourself if posting questions from schoolwork assignments

Consider the source. Your comment was completely on the mark and justified and you got down-voted precisely BECAUSE it was completely on the mark and justified. Upvoted from me as a counterbalance.

commented: Props +0

Consider the source. Your comment was completely on the mark and justified and you got down-voted precisely BECAUSE it was completely on the mark and justified. Upvoted from me as a counterbalance.

Ditto

There are just too many students and other newbies who want you to do it for them rather than make some effort, do the research and give it a decent try before asking for help. It adds some traffic to Daniweb but it does nothing for the quality of the site. When people are clearly demonstrating that they are lazy and/or looking for an easy way out, they deserve some negative feedback.

commented: very well said +0

>>When people are clearly demonstrating that they are lazy and/or looking for an easy way out, they deserve some negative feedback.

The OP in this case was warned to show more effort. That's strike one. Get 3 strikes and your out.

Yet another lazy code hungry member here.

Once you deny them to spoon feed the code and ask to show some effort, they go crazy and start yelling at you. They think showing some effort is waste of time and try to exercise what ever tool they can find to hit you on your head simply to kill you. :)

You're always going to get some highly motivated people that are truly stuck or wanting to supplement, have made the effort, and are grateful for the help. The other side of that coin isn't always so pleasant. Don't let those bad eggs grind you down.

Now that member has started cross all the limit and started offending others who try to convince him/her including moderators.

Those who volunteer to help others are not here to get offended every now and then.

Someone needs to reprimand the OP seriously.

People come up with queries, and experts solve their issues, If You are helping someone with Knowledge and if you think you should limit yourself in offering help, based on that person, then your thinking is slain.

I have hundreds of queries in my daily work life, obviously i need help from internet, like others do, like you(experts) do when you don't know about something, there are so many free sources, which could have helped the people who are earning and making their life by using those free sources, but come anyone have a right to judge someone who is looking for help?

ok i write too much :/ all i want to say, if you think you should only show the right direction to the Blind, then the Blind would prefer other Doctor, (how pathetic :/) :p

If You are helping someone with Knowledge and if you think you should limit yourself in offering help, based on that person, then your thinking is slain.

I don't think that's correct. I don't think anyone would argue that we're here as a homework or coding service.

Since any one of us could be in a role of asker or answerer, the prerogative of being "always right" is not suddenly extended to the asker at the expense of the answerer.

I think if an OP starts being abusive, you have every right to sick this guy on them:

I don't think that's correct. I don't think anyone would argue that we're here as a homework or coding service.

Since any one of us could be in a role of asker or answerer, the prerogative of being "always right" is not suddenly extended to the asker at the expense of the answerer.

I think if an OP starts being abusive, you have every right to sick this guy on them:

Probably when you sick that guy on them, they will look for another forum :/

Yes, I always believe in showing the right direction to the blind.
Not only that I explain why this is the right direction and why not the other.

To do all that I need some basic information and the blind must show some interest in getting the right direction.

But if still the blind insists, let the blind walk on the spike, hit the rock, fall in the ditch and die in the gutter.

commented: Morbid, but correct. +0

Asking a question on a Forum does not give you the right to a perfectly coded answer to your question.

Yes, I always believe in showing the right direction to the blind.

You forget the fact that Blind can't "See"

Not only that I explain why this is the right direction and why not the other.

And the probability of understanding with half knowledge is possible for everyone?, could everyone get through it ? :/

To do all that I need some basic information and the blind must show some interest in getting the right direction.

But if still the blind insists, let the blind walk on the spike, hit the rock, fall in the ditch and die in the gutter.

May be you are right, when he can't see your hand directing:/

Nay, it's worthless to talk about this, because people vary and their requests and will... Chiyaaoo!!

Let the blind end in sewer with all its fans and followers.

>> And the probability of understanding with half knowledge is possible for everyone?, could everyone get through it ? :/

The probability goes up with the OP's willingness to put in effort. No, not everyone can get through it, not even with maximum effort and good attitude. Not everyone can program.

The help should also go up with effort on the OP's part. The OP is given half, understands half of that half, adds that to say a quarter of what he already knew, asks for a little more clarification, maybe gets another third from someone here on Daniweb, posts an updated question, maybe the OP and the helper were using different terminology, maybe someone else chimes. Eventually, hopefully, between the OP, the helpers, the follow-up questions, the follow-up responses, etc., there's a big Venn Diagram of knowledge and enough knowledge intersects that the OP is able to solve the problem.

Contrast that with OP gives nothing, gets half, complains that he only got half, gets another quarter, complains that he only got three-quarters...

The OP and the helpers should EXPECT there to be some give and take. Think about every conversation you've ever had where one person was dispensing advice to another. Short of small syntax error problems or not knowing some specific command that can be cleared up right away, this is almost always how it goes. The odds of a newbie, even with a great attitude, asking the perfect question, the helper understanding the question perfectly, answering perfectly, and the newbie understanding the answer perfectly all on the first two posts are pretty slim.

commented: You got that right! +0
commented: Thanks for keepin' it real. +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.