I'm sure many of you know how visual studio supports "outlining", it's where a block of code becomes collapsible and it can be expanded or collapsed by the plus sign on the left.

Often times those seeking help feel it necessary to dump about 3-4 files into a thread and expect to get help, obviously I don't like skipping over 3-4 files of what may be entirely irrelevant, and the process would be much smoother with a feature similar to "outlining".

It would likely be much appreciated among the Daniweb community, so if you want outlining but don't want to implement it or worry about anything at all and let the Daniweb folks create it, there is now a poll for this.

Best idea yet, IMO, I always thought the post threads were a bit lengthy.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Yes, good idea. Perhaps it could be implemented so that if the code contains something between {{{ and }}} those pieces of code are shown, and the rest is hidden? The only problem is to get new users to use this. They often don't use code tags at all.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

The problem is that most newbies don't know how to post using code tags let alone write good code. That collapsible function is likely to work on in languages with curly braces.

Well, the idea was for everything between [code] and [/code] to be collapsed, but a more sophisticated system might be good for the users too. I also like twiss's idea, a new tag that goes inside the code tags to denote a problem section sounds like a good idea. As for people using the features, when they make their account a blank page with the text:

"When posting in programming help forums...

Post your code between the code tags like so: /* code tags intro */

To denote a problem section, please place the problem_section tags around the section of code within the code tags
like so: /* problem_section tags intro */

For a full listing of our forum rules and other useful tags, please see: /* Link */ "

will probably work just fine.

How do you get those non-parsed code tags? Just asking :)

Anything included between the [noparse][/noparse] tags won't be parsed by the vBulletin template engine if that's what you are asking.

Ah, thank you. Yes, that's what I meant.

Post your code between the code tags like so: /* code tags intro */

I think your idea is great, but you could plaster that statement diagonally across the page in glowing "emergency orange" arial bold (I know, that's not really a web font), and people would still ignore it.

That collapsible function is likely to work on in languages with curly braces.

Is there really any other kind? ;)

Yeah, LISP. It'th all parenthetheth. No bracket'th at all. :icon_twisted:

Or python. But not many indeed.

I think your idea is great, but you could plaster that statement diagonally across the page in glowing "emergency orange" arial bold (I know, that's not really a web font), and people would still ignore it.

O rly? What if the user has to successfully complete a demo post using the tags properly?

O rly?

You save your chatspeak for when you're digging up earthworms and trading bubble gum cards with the other boys. :D

What if the user has to successfully complete a demo post using the tags properly?

There have been lots of suggestions to that end. I dug up one that was talking about auto-code tags, http://www.daniweb.com/community-center/daniweb-community-feedback/threads/328643/1402885#post1402885, which is not directly what you are proposing, but I think Dani's point in that case was that putting additional barriers into the process of posting is just going to cause more frustration.

Believe you me, I'm honestly all for your suggestion, but is it really going to help? Would someone pass the tutorial, put tags once, and go back to their usual plain text

#INCLUDE <IOSTREAM.H>
#INCLUDE <CONIO.H>
#INCLUDE <GRAPHICS.H>
void main()
{
CLRSCR();
GOTOXY(1,25);
}

the very next time?

#INCLUDE <IOSTREAM.H>
#INCLUDE <CONIO.H>
#INCLUDE <GRAPHICS.H>
void main()
{
CLRSCR();
GOTOXY(1,25);
}

:( So much shouting... So much anger... This used to be such a happy place... :icon_twisted:

commented: I was going to put in a dos.h just for you. +0

Fortune favors the bold.

Member Avatar for diafol

I would only favour collapsible code ([ CODE ]) tags (like [ QUOTE ]) if they were uncollapsed to begin with. Some may place 5 or more sets of tags in a single post, so that would be a real pain to open.

Having used a variety of IDEs, section collapsing is great, BUT would it work for a web-based forum? Notepad++ is fantastic for this, but that sort of functionality port to the web? Would the sections automatically indent/format to the newly found sections.

In addition, I often use 'pseudocode' so that I don't give the whole game away. I reckon that could throw a spanner in the works. Perhaps it would help to spot mistakes, but it could also confuse as a missing tags could make a section much longer than it should be, which could leave one scratching one's head.

Anyway just a thought.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.