I just found out today, that daniweb has changed. For example, the login windows. There use to be a small window opens when you click on login. But this time it directs you to the login and register page. Another problem is with the categories below the search button. It is not what it used to be. In the past, when you hover your mouse over Community Center, it will show you all the sub category within. Now it doesn't.

Can anyone explain this to me.

Thanks and regards,
Jingda

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

Ok, that's weird. I just refresh the page two times and the problem is solve. Before that i try it on my macbook and windows laptop and the problem still persists. What just happened?

The JavaScript isn't loading? Or you have JavaScript disabled? Try clearing your browser cache.

When in doubt: CTRL-F5.

commented: I can see that being the message of a black and white film being shown to primary school students. +0

I reported the problem with the drop-down menus a while ago and the answer was to clear the cache. I did that and they started to work again but after a while it got back to the same point again. As a result, I no longer use the menus because I couldn't be bothered to clear the cache all the time. Something has changed because it wasn't doing this prior to a month or two ago.

What browser are you using? I use both Chrome and IE9 and both of them work ok for me.

Let's solve the windows problem first. For windows, i use Chrome and firefox. I clear the cache everytime, even reset the browser. Still does work. I have to refresh the page a few times then it will work. Javascript is enable.

I try it on other computers connecting to the same network, does not resolve it. Can this be the daniweb' server connection problem?

Sometimes we will have an issue where one of our many web servers is having issues, so refreshing the page fixes those kinds of problems. However, that doesn't appear to be the case here since you're the only person who seems to be affected. Are all of your computers behind any type of firewall or proxy server?

Are all of your computers behind any type of firewall or proxy server?

Yes,they are. But i have check the settings and nothing is wrong with them. Disabling them does not help too. The problem occur mostly in the afternoon. Is that information helpful?

For the record, I am using Chrome.

You're not using an ad-blocker are you? Can you post a screenshot of DW? It could be that a country-specific ad is causing some problems

I am using Adblock. I temporarily disabled it and the menus have started working again. I re-enabled Adblock and the menus are still working but I'll have to see if they stop again. if I have to make a choice, I'll leave Adblock on and do without the menus I guess.

After a very short time, Adblock kicked in again and the menus were gone again. Adblock has a white list so I added Daniweb to it. It then started to display the ads again but so far, the menu hasn't returned. Maybe I will try clearing the cache this time around and then see what happens from there.

[Edit] Cleared the cache - menus now working again. Will see if this is now temp or permanent.

I think it's because of the Ads blocker you're using.. It depends on what blocker you're using..

I think ads blcokers should not interfere much.. They should only disable what needs to be disabled.. I know they're not that smart, but they should be improved much better.

Over the couple of days, i monitor the problem to check whether ad blocker was the cause of problem. I turn it off and on, 2 hours interval. Daniweb stills works normally. Can this be a server connection error, and refreshing the page solve it?

@ Nick Evan
My windows laptop is with my father now and he is in overseas. Do you need a screenshot of my browser on my macbook?

Could be useful, that way we can see what Ads are showing for you

Here is the screenshot. I am using a Mac browser.

We have changed the way that the dropdown menus work since March (as part of our Google Panda site redo). We now fetch the JavaScript through an AJAX call to improve page load speeds, although the JavaScript file itself is the same.

It's now a day later and the Daniweb menus are still working for me with Daniweb on the AdBlocker white list.

Well another day has passed and the problem does not seem to be occuring. It can be a bad connection at that time or everything is loading very slowly. Maybe that's why refreshing the page helps. Will still continue to monitor it.:)

Yup, so far everything is working normally. :)

And for me as well since I added Daniweb to the Ad Blocker whitelist.

Everything is perfect to me

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.