I've seen some posts of users changing their usernames. But some of them are like below 50 posts. I mean why would they want to change their Usernames if they've just have less than 50 posts? I mean they could have just make another account.

So, My suggestion would be, If they wanted to change their Username, They must have atleast 50 posts.

That's my suggestion...

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Why 50? Changing a user's name is quick and easy, provided the new name is available, so I don't see a problem with allowing it regardless of post count. Otherwise those with less than 50 posts would probably create a new account and take up both names, which just clutters the database.

I've seen some posts of users changing their usernames. But some of them are like below 50 posts.

So? What's the problem?

I mean why would they want to change their Usernames if they've just have less than 50 posts?

Because they decided they don't like their member name after 5 posts?

I mean they could have just make another account.

And you're suggesting that a bogus member be kept around simply because they can't have their name changed?

IMO, no member needs more than one account except a few top-level members.
No rank-and-file needs more than one. It has caused problems when they do. And what would a second account be used for? What do you suggest we do with the first account?

>> And you're suggesting that a bogus member be kept around simply because they can't have their name changed?

It would up the membership count and get to that magical million number.

>> And what would a second account be used for?

I believe that the second account +reps the first account and lends a two-to-one advantage in any flame war.

commented: But of course. How silly of me! +0

Well I thought making this rule would encourage other users to post more and be more active on DW. Does it make sense now?

I don't see how the two tie in together?

Well I thought making this rule would encourage other users to post more and be more active on DW. Does it make sense now?

No. How would it encourage more activity? If I want to have my user name changed one of two things will happen:
1) If I have to make 48 more posts, I will go elsewhere and forget DaniWeb.
2) If I have to make 48 more posts, I will post 48 lame-assed posts anywhere I can just to get my 50.

Alternatively, I all I have to do is ask, I would think "Gee, this is a nice place, they are helpful. I'll stay around and become part of this community."

commented: Only 47 more to go! Just kidding, WaltP, but that was too easy. +0

Alternatively, I all I have to do is ask, I would think "Gee, this is a nice place, they are helpful. I'll stay around and become part of this community."

Well the way you reacted to my idea seems like this is not a nice place... Nevermind. It was just my idea. Of course, Its ALWAYS up to you guys ;)

>> Well the way you reacted to my idea seems like this is not a nice place...

I fail to see any rudeness or "not nice" comments directed at you in this thread. People just disagree with you, that's all.

>> Well the way you reacted to my idea seems like this is not a nice place...

I fail to see any rudeness or "not nice" comments directed at you in this thread. People just disagree with you, that's all.

My apologies but that's the way I felt on his reaction :) Please be reminded that it is just my "Suggestion". And though I believe that there is no bad suggestion. Only better :)

My apologies but that's the way I felt on his reaction :)

Sorry....

Sorry....

Well I thought you'd be a good teacher :) Plus one!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.