I wanted to upvote another user's post. When I clicked on the upvote link I got a popup which stated "[user] currently has 537 reputation points. You have the power to influence pyTony's reputation by 4 points."

I felt his assistance was worth more than one point but there was no obvious way to modify the number of points I was awarding. If I want to award more than the default (one point), how do I do it?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

You are by default capable of awarding x and y number of points to the user where x and y is your power to influence a fellow Daniweb member's reputation in a positive and negative manner respectively. For e.g. you can positively influence by +4 and negatively by -1. AFAIK, these values come from your current reputation points you have (which is 47 right now).

Daniweb doesn't have the concept of awarding "varying" reputation wherein you can award selective number of points. Also not sure if it was a typo, but in your case you are awarding 4 reputation points and not 1. Another concept which comes into play here is the "upvotes" and "downvotes". This metric is something which is helpful for measuring the usefulness of a user's post. You can't add reputation without influencing the vote count by +1 and -1 for up and down votes respectively. But you can of course just "upvote" a post and not add any reputation to it (there by remaining anonymous). Again, this value isn't customizable and would never change (as opposed to rep power). No matter your reputation, up/down votes would always influence the total up/down vote count of a user by 1.

So each post has its own vote count and each user has rep points.

If I up(down) vote a post I can choose to modify the posters rep by whatever is my current +/- rep effect and with that the comment I give is visible.

However, sometimes I wish to add a comment but not affect the rep points which it seems I can not do.:confused:

So then as well as "can't add reputation without influencing the vote count", I can't add a comment without adding reputation. Is this correct?

I clicked on UPVOTE on the previous post to have a look at the options. I see I can just vote or add rep points. I understand that one UPVOTE and clicking on REPUTATION will affect that user by my weighting factor (in my case, 4). I decided to do neither and clicked X (close). The upvote remained, however. It seems to me that by clicking X that my action should have been canceled. I'm not trying to be difficult. It's just that with most dialog boxes, clicking the close gadget is synonymous with CANCEL.

As you both have already observed, there are a few limitations with the current voting system. These are:

1. You can't add a comment without adding/removing reputation
  2. You can't "undo" a up/down vote or reputation. Once an up/down arrow is clicked, closing the window which pops up just removes the ability to add a reputation comment. The up/down vote remains.

Both these are pretty much implementation details and can be much better explained by Dani but AFAIK these are on the TODO list. :)

> You can't "undo" a up/down vote or reputation. Once an up/down arrow is clicked, closing the window which pops up just removes the ability to add a reputation comment. The up/down vote remains.

This has been fixed, actually. You now CAN undo an up/down vote. Therefore, if you click on an arrow accidentally (or you wish to change your vote), you can click on it again to undo it. (The caveat is that you must refresh the page after voting before gaining the ability to undo it.) However, once you give reputation, you can't undo the reputation or the up/down vote.

And here I was wonder what that weird image was for. Good work. :-)

Another caveat is that once the vote has been undone, you have to *again* refresh the page in case you want to play around with up/down neg/pos reputation again.

It's an undo icon in the corner of the arrow selected, for quick reference on how you voted on posts.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.