Hi
I think an option to delete your own thread, would be great. Like in edit mode there be an option to delete it. That way if you accedently double post you can remove one.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I've never seen a double posted thread.

I agree that a delete button would be useful -- I have occationally posted bad information and the only way to delete it was to edit the post and remove all the code, leaving a post with an empty message.

Daniweb does have a rule that stops two posts being added. I don't know whether this is timer based, or content based, but you do ocassionally see two threads.

Users not having the option of deleting threads, is common on most forums. The problem is, that if you post a reply to a thread, and then someone posts after you, refering in part to your message, which you then delete, you have a broken thread.

This makes threads very difficult to read, where content is constantly edited or deleted, yet references to those deleted posts, still remain. This is also the reason for the 15mins rule for edits.

You can always "Flag bad post" if you really need to, or edit the post as "removed"

Yea, that is a good point. The only reason I would really need it; is somtimes, i hit submit twice really quick by accident, resulting in two posts. I could just flag one of them. Deeming the delete button unessesary.

-T

Maybe it is a recent update, but I think you'll find the double post is protected against, and an error will be displayed.

Well after having some members who wanted to erase their traces from the forums I don't allow thread removal either. and on the most "serious" forum I allod edit just in 15 minutes time after the post was made. Makes life as an admin easier.

I think Dani had some similar issues here too ;)

As for the mess cleaning, we all have mods (and we're also doing this as admins) .. so usually duplicates will be easily spotted

Well after having some members who wanted to erase their traces from the forums I don't allow thread removal either. and on the most "serious" forum I allod edit just in 15 minutes time after the post was made. Makes life as an admin easier.

I think Dani had some similar issues here too ;)

As for the mess cleaning, we all have mods (and we're also doing this as admins) .. so usually duplicates will be easily spotted

Hear, Hear.

If you really have a problem with a post, let a mod know, or use the "Report this Post" link on each post. Trust me-- it will get taken care of...

:?:
OK if i m not puzzeled with this discussion, i would say that a thread starter should have the right to delete a post which he don't like. May be that would be helpful to keep unnecessary posts out of the thread.
:rolleyes:

You think that members should have a right to delete the posts of other members??

I'm a moderator, and unless it's blatently rude, or complete spam, I don't touch people's posts, unless it's to add code tags.

:sad:
Hmm...I apologize.
Uhh... Don't know what to say,but...
Actually there must be some way for preventing unneccessary posts...or do we have?
:confused:

Yea, Moderators. Thats part of there job ;).

Thanks tayspen,
for ur quick reply.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.