Could we please have this thread as a sticky in the php forum as it would help solve some of the ever so common threads regarding making sms calls with php. Any input? Thanks. :)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Rather than making common questions stickies onesie-twosie, perhaps you could get some of the PHP regulars to collect frequently asked questions and links to threads with the best answers to those questions into a FAQ thread? That strikes me as a much more useful sticky, and it scales better as new common questions are found.

Though I will ask the usual question: if these folks aren't searching the forum before starting new threads, what makes you think they'll read the stickies? ;)

Because when a new user comes to post a thread, they don't like to look through pages of pages of results to find one answer. They prefer to see the one link then click it for the answer. Very much like a sticky or a wiki. So perhaps a sticky with links to useful solved threads like suggested however moderators would have to delete useless posts to make it a useful sticky. G' I wish daniweb had a wiki (eg mediawiki). It could be located at http://wiki.daniweb.com/. But obviously that's never going to happen because dani is too busy and I've asked before and the answer was no. But anyways yes a sticky FAQ with moderated links should be good.

So perhaps a sticky with links to useful solved threads like suggested however moderators would have to delete useless posts to make it a useful sticky.

Another option is to can clean it up before making it a sticky and then lock it so that further additions can only be added through a moderator.

Though I will ask the usual question: if these folks aren't searching the forum before starting new threads, what makes you think they'll read the stickies? ;)

Because when a new user comes to post a thread, they don't like to look through pages of pages of results to find one answer.

Did you miss the "search" -- i.e. use the SEARCH box?

They prefer to see the one link then click it for the answer. Very much like a sticky or a wiki.

I beg to differ. If people like clicking on stickies, why do people post questions that are already answered in stickies, or make crap posts that reading the stickies would alleviate. In short, they prefer to post rather than read anything.

Full sympathy because our site search feature always sucked and returned 0 results most of the time. But we're using google search now, and the results rae pretty good. It obviously completely makes sense that people would rather post and wait hours for a response than do a search and get instant gratification, right? :)

It obviously completely makes sense that people would rather post and wait hours for a response than do a search and get instant gratification, right? :)

Yep. Human nature....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.