Then

Congratulations on 3000 posts :)

cwarn23 commented: Thanks +0
Member Avatar for diafol

WRT signup, are all these automated and then spam goes nuts, or are some manual signups and then look out? I'm assuming most are of the first type?

Receiving brute force attacks and sending brute force attacks are two different things. In you quote you are saying that Linux would be the ideal platform for *sending* attacks where as windows is the ideal platform for *receiving* attacks. Also apple claims that it is *cough* not the *cough* ideal platform for *receiving* attacks. So there is a big difference between sending and receiving attacks weather it's the more common brute force attack like Daniweb is to some degree experiencing or an algorithmic attack which is able to decipher the circumstances and implement a hack based on the situation.

I beg your pardon for not proving my supposition.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mhl45gmil/elk-kloner#content

The first virus was unleashed from a _______ computer.

My first idea on virus source was intuitive, but there is a fierce rivalry between the two OS so it makes sense.

Could somebody please review my previous comment and perhaps put it forward as a part of the system?

Glad to hear that Spam is under control, I was a bit nervous after reading the announcement of the attack. I'm sure that the Forum Administrators have already implemented good security to avoid similar situations in future.

We are doing our best to keep on top of it, although some does slip through and reach the forums before we can zap it. Obviously we'd rather that none of the spammers got that far, but believe me the vast majority are not able to post anything before their accounts are taklen down and given a permaban.

We appreciate the support of the community during this time, and reporting any spam that you see really does help us to clean up.

Yes, Indeed. I just saw a post which was not related to the thread topic and the text was also missing so reported it in a flash. I request all the members to report spam/bad post as they surf the forums and contribute towards making the forum SPAM FREE :)

Could somebody please review my previous comment and perhaps put it forward as a part of the system?

Have patience. We're quite busy at the moment.

Thanks. Handled.

Thank you. Banned.

Eek. For the most part, they shouldn't be able to post though.

@BitBlt Ezzaral took care of them

Banned and banned, thanks.

Eek. For the most part, they shouldn't be able to post though.

Someone got my email addresses from Yahoo.com. :'(

Please . I have lost count on how many accounts I have banned today.

You need to relax a little so you don't get freaked out.

Hey! i just went through member rank. It was so surprising to see the list on 'member rank by week points' so i became curious and decided to click on the first two users who had 2,000+ and 1500+ points respectively. To my findings, on these users pages, they had zero posts, zero records just as fresh starters and i began to wonder how they ranked top on the weekly points with such figures.

To my findings, on these users pages, they had zero posts, zero records just as fresh starters and i began to wonder how they ranked top on the weekly points with such figures.

Logging in and sending PMs are the usual suspects in spammer activity points.

maybe banned users should not be included in that list

Of late, and in regards to the spammers specifically, updating profile (changing signatures etc) seems to account for much of the activity - especially when the account has been banned from posting.

Thanks. Dealt with.

Don't get me wrong for asking this, but...
I was wasting some time looking for any suspicious accounts in the bottom of the member ranks when I saw this account: http://www.daniweb.com/members/pletcherhdx/934282 and a couple more, all banned without the usual signs of spammers.

I guess my question is: Has there been a change in the way spammers appear nowadays and looking to their profile won't give sufficient hints?

Mods and admins can see a bit more information and after dealing with this spam wave for two months, certain patterns are quite evident.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.