Member Avatar for diafol

Mods and admins can see a bit more information and after dealing with this spam wave for two months, certain patterns are quite evident.

That may be so, but I still see them hogging the activity lists. Although I recognize and appreciate all the hard work that you do, the fact that these accounts are displayed for all to see suggests to the casual user that the site is full of active spammers.

So, to echo AD's thoughts - is there really no way to hide banned accounts from these lists?

My response was specifically regarding the question of some banned accounts not appearing to have some of the more evident tell-tale signs of spammer accounts. Many of the spammer accounts do display those highly visible patterns, but mods and admins are privy to a bit more info that can identify spammers that may not be evident from the data that regular users can view.

I can't really address the issue of those accounts appearing on activity lists, because that involves development changes to the workings of the forums themselves and the metrics those lists display.

I can say yes, there are still a ton of spammers trying to post their garbage here and some of the things those accounts do still affect rankings like activity points. While it's unfortunate that such ranking lists may be affected, the main aim of the mods is to ensure that those spammers do not affect the functioning of the forums for the users.

What he said :)

Member Avatar for diafol

My response was specifically regarding ...

Yes I understand that, and as I said, I appreciate that.

My point - not directed at you as such, more to Dani / DW developers - is that we don't see loads of spam - thanks to mods - but their exploits are there for all to see in the activity lists.

I'm assuming that it would be a straightforward matter to change an SQL query not to include banned users.

No slight intended.

There is some benefit to the spammers appearing in the activity lists though, namely that we catch some that otherwise might have slipped past unnoticed. Some fiddle with their profiles enough to make the list and the username itself arouses suspicion, others post spam in enough volume to make the list before they get flagged as such.

>> There is some benefit to the spammers appearing in the activity lists though, namely that we catch some that otherwise might have slipped past unnoticed.

Indeed, but once they're banned they should not show up in lists anymore.

That would be very helpful indeed, but I suspect the amount of coding/tweaking to the already highly customized vBulletin implementation that DaniWeb runs upon would make it something we are unlikely to see implemented any time soon :(

Don't worry guys. All of this is being thought about for the new version of DaniWeb currently being coded behind the scenes.

My huge apologies for being so absent on the site lately. I've been coding every spare minute I get!

commented: Are you keeping the Purple? +0
Member Avatar for diafol

All of this is being thought about for the new version of DaniWeb currently being coded behind the scenes.

Will it be purple free?! Lives in hope...

Can we have the vomit yellow back? I liked that :)

Vomit yellow? How about doo-doo brown? Or seasick green? I'm a fan of forest green, to be honest, but Dani has invested too much in purple swag to change colors now. ;)

Sorry but the purple is staying. Everything else is going ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.