I created a thread in the Viruses and Spyware forum earlier today giving recognition to a couple of the members who frequently post there, and it got me thinking. So now, below each thread listing is a table of featured members within that forum who deserve special recognition. It's solely based on who made the most number of posts in the forum over a recent period of time (currently set to the last two weeks). The idea is that members will easily be able to see who the main posters in the particular forum are in addition to when they were last active on DaniWeb.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Spammage alert - (must get posting, must get .....)

Spammage alert is right...

You think? I don't see it that way because, well ... it's constantly being updated and reputation counts and, well ... I dunno. I thought it would be good incentive to get people to want to contribute more. Can we leave it for a little bit and see if it gives any trouble? I think it's a good way to give the leaders in each individual forum the recognition they deserve. I don't see it really encouraging spam when someone realizes they have 65,000 members to compete against. No one is going to spam THAT much just to get their name on the forum for a couple of minutes. So that will discourage and weed out all the spammers and just leave the people who post because they want to.

I was only joking, sry :(

A bit of friendly competition maybe, no spam.

I was on the wrong level of spam viewage here. I suppose it's a good idea, I'm always up for anything, but I was thinking that it would lead to a major issue in regards to the people's who's names are up there, and that is a Request for assistance outside of the scope of the forum. After really thinking about it, the placement of the table is in such a place that it may not be that significant.

I know that I get added to people's MSN Messenger, and IM's requesting help on a personal level WAY more than I ever expected I would... merely because people see my posts, and figure if I helped this person, I can help them. They don't realize that the success of Daniweb comes from the collective knowledge of all the people involved. Anyway, I felt I needed to clarify what I meant.

I thought it would be good incentive to get people to want to contribute more.

Good idea, Dani. :)
I think the recognition may give our newer and/or perhaps more hesitant contributors a bit of a confidence boost, and help to let people know that their input is a valued addition to the community.
As for the "spam" aspect- sure, there's the possibility of a little bit of competitive "post-padding", but I don't really think we'll see too much abuse.

but I don't really think we'll see too much abuse.

Especially when you've got a great mod team keeping check of such things.

(Good work guys)

I know that I get added to people's MSN Messenger, and IM's requesting help on a personal level ...

Heck, I wouldn't complain if some chick added me to MSN. I am enabling my contact options right now...:mrgreen:

Also, there is no inkling WHAT the requirements to be listed are. It's not as if you could see that you need X more posts to be listed. Ya know? ;)

Bah! It's usually NOT chicks (is the problem) ;)

Bah! It's usually NOT chicks (is the problem) ;)

:sad:

Heck, I wouldn't complain if some chick added me to MSN. I am enabling my contact options right now...:mrgreen:

It worked, it worked. Yay

It worked, it worked. Yay

Spammage, Spammage, Yay

(only joking)

More spammage this. Holy crud....

Narf...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.