I've noticed an appalling number of first time posters who post threads with titles like "Help! Urgent!!!!". The posts can be almost as useless as "I'm trying to program something and I'm getting an error. What am I doing wrong?". It would seem that few people are reading and following the posting guidelines. Even simple guidelines like

• Make a meaningful title
  • Give sufficient information so the question makes sense
  • Supply all relevant information so the problem can be solved

My suggestion is to implement a system in which new posters (perhaps for the first 2-3 new threads) woul be shown the guidelines for a set time (15-20 seconds perhaps) before the editing fields are displayed or edited. I am not a web programmer so I do not know what is easy to implement.

I realize that anyone contributing to a thread gets credited when the thread is marked as solved and I feel like a cheat when I post "show us what you have done" or "can you please clarify the question", then not contribute further when I realize the question is not in an area where I feel I can contribute.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hold your suggestions for just a bit longer :)

I'm currently working on recoding all of DaniWeb from scratch, and there's a complete freeze on the existing system right now.

I'm currently working on recoding all of DaniWeb from scratch

Editing for high rep users? ;) Just kidding, I know when to quit.

I'm currently working on recoding all of DaniWeb from scratch, and there's a complete freeze on the existing system right now.

Good luck on that then

From scratch? You must be familiar with this then.

That's great :D

wonder if there is a way to just not allow certain words in the subject line? (help, urgent, ect..) im also not versed on websites (barely understanding vb) but, just an idea is all (and not really sure if its a good one LOL)

wonder if there is a way to just not allow certain words in the subject line? (help, urgent, ect..) im also not versed on websites (barely understanding vb) but, just an idea is all (and not really sure if its a good one LOL)

What part of

did you not understand? :icon_rolleyes:

was just thinking out loud..sorrrrrrrrry!

sorrrrrrrrry!

It's my bad, I was a poor role model when I was trying to be a smartazz.

Don't worry about WaltP, as long as you don't walk on his lawn he won't press charges.

commented: Mmm, are you sure about WaltP?? +0

*treads softly* ;)

Member Avatar for diafol

You reckon WaltP's real name is Oscar and that he lives in a bin? :)

I realize that anyone contributing to a thread gets credited when the thread is marked as solved and I feel like a cheat when I post "show us what you have done" or "can you please clarify the question", then not contribute further when I realize the question is not in an area where I feel I can contribute.

Don't complain man! About three quarters of my solved threads are for that. The fact that you asked them to share their code meant that somebody else was able to help them further. You played your part. :)

Anyway Walt, are we still banned from posting or is the big freeze off now?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.