Hi,

Would it be possible to please put a 'Forum Index' link in the static purple bar at the bottom alongside new posts, today's posts etc?

This would be very helpful and would make browsing the forum a lot easier :)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

It took a surprising amount of work to get Dani to put that tiny forum index link at the bottom of every page, so I'll ask what she'll probably ask. Why do you need to get to the index so badly that there has to be an immediate link from every part of every page?

Lol really?

I like to be able to see every category and which category has unread posts. So I can read only new posts/threads within a category of interest to me and ignore the others.

I can also mark the whole forum read from that page.

That can be done with just a few clicks... probably less than 5 or 10 minutes
why make it hard for Dani

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying?

Checking the forums through the menu and seeing each thread seems easy to do for me,its not exactly time consuming...

I think the "forum index link" isn't such a but idea but after reading deceptikon's post it seems it would be a lot of work for Dani to make it possible
though Dani is currently working on Daniweb's new version so I think it's better if we hear it from her of what she thinks about this

I think the "forum index link" isn't such a but idea but after reading deceptikon's post it seems it would be a lot of work for Dani to make it possible
though Dani is currently working on Daniweb's new version so I think it's better if we hear it from her of what she thinks about this

Actually, that change will border on the trivial when the new system is released, at least as far as the code itself goes. But I'm told there was a lot of research into the design of the site, and I'm not privy to the details.

I like to be able to see every category and which category has unread posts.

I have a few thoughts:

1. We could show the read status of a category from the category menus at the top of each page.
  2. We could change the New Posts button on the purple bar into a menu filtered by forum.
  3. We could leave the New Posts button a straight up button, but add filtering by forum to the results.

Viewing the read status from places other than a forum view or the forum index is a good idea as long as it doesn't increase loading time excessively.

I can also mark the whole forum read from that page.

You can mark a whole forum read from the forum view, but the link is at the bottom of the page. Off the top of my head I can't think of a good alternative to the double click mark as read script we have on the forum index and for sub forums in the forum view. I'll think on that.

It was more a philosophical difference than due to any technical difficulty. Being an old school forum user, I argued in favor of working from the forum index, but Dani wanted the user home page, category bar, and purple bar to be the first line of attack for navigation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.