I'm confused (not an uncommon state lately, I'm afraid). A short time ago I posted some VB code using the CODE button. In response I was told by pyTony that I should be using fences. Today when I went to post some code, the posing area had a large banner stating

If posting a code snippet, use the Code button in the editor toolbar

Can someone please state, definitively, what is the preferred method for posting code?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

The new Code button is easier to use than ~~~ tags (less typing) As far as I can tell ~~~ doesn't work any more.

Can someone please state, definitively, what is the preferred method for posting code?

Fenced blocks were removed because as quoted by Dani, "they were incredibly buggy". The preferred way to post code is to indent the code by 4 spaces (or 1 tab) or if you are a clickety-click person, use the 'Code' button. :)

pyTony had suggested I use ~~~ because the CODE formatting didn't like VB comments. Has this been fixed?

I'm not sure what you mean by VB comments, can you give an example?

It hasn't been fixed but it's on the short list of things to do. I promise!

What exactly is this bug about?

The syntax highlighter is geared towards C/C++/Java-style languages and color-code VB/Python code optimally. For example, it doesn't recognize comments in code. In the near future, code posted in those forums will know to use syntax highlighters specifically for the specified language.

commented: Ah, I see! +0

~s.o.s~ Specifically, single quotes tended to screw up the display. Single line comments (beginning with a single quote) or line ending comments (again with a single quote). Here's an example

Private Sub mnuLoad_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles mnuLoad.Click

'prompt for a file name and load the resulting book library file

dlgOpen.DefaultExt = ".bkl"
        dlgOpen.AddExtension = True
        dlgOpen.Filter = "Book Library Files|*.bkl"
        dlgOpen.FileName = ""

If dlgOpen.ShowDialog() = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
            LoadBookList(dlgOpen.FileName)
        End If

End Sub
commented: Ah, I thought VB = vBulletin ! +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.