Hi Dani and other administrators/moderators,

I have had little time recently to contribute to the site, but I noticed tonight that the number of members is fast approaching the 1 million mark - at the time of this post it is 952,959 members. At the current rate of new member signings, approximately when do you anticipate reaching the seven figure mark? It will be quite an achievement and I hope I am online when it happens so I can congratulate you all!

Cheers,
darkagn

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

We've been approaching the big one million for a loooong time now. Ever since we took down the nag window to encourage registrations, we've been getting just a small fraction of the number of sign-ups as we used to.

Member Avatar for diafol

How many a day are signing up? <10?

More than 10, less than 100. Which is better than more than 200, at least 60% of them spambots :)

Member Avatar for diafol

They're still getting through?

Not that we can tell. The over 200 with a huge portion being spambots was before migrating to the new system.

With the "nag window" in place, we were averaging over 1,000 new registrations a day.

1,000 new registrations = 999 spam bots :

No, that was back years ago when spam wasn't as much of an issue.

So "nag windows" == kind suggestion for not logged in users to register or log in?

How much DaniWeb is browsed without login in?

So "nag windows" == kind suggestion for not logged in users to register or log in?

Nag window is a modal popup (similar to the current login box) that appeared immediately after arriving from a Google search, encouraging users to join and telling them what DaniWeb is all about. If you didn't want to join, you could click anywhere outside the box (or on the close button) to close out of it.

However, even with that, a lot of people seemed to misunderstandingly think that registration was REQUIRED to see content. Also, on slow computers, instead of showing up right away, people would start to read the content and then it would suddenly pop up a second or two later, obfuscating what they were in the middle of reading. Therefore, even after multiple redesigns, it got a lot of criticism, and I finally took it away. However, it increased our registrations ten-fold and accounted for at least three-quarters of our memberbase during the 4 or 5 years we were using it.

I'm having this feeling that since the migration to the new system the number of posts (new articles or replies) has been significantly reduced? At least in VB.Net and databases that has to be true, with new registrations or not.

Since the day of migration, we lost half our traffic. It's had affects throughout our community.

I am a beginner(Just passed Structure in C++). As far as i can say, the number of newbies seeking help at daniweb have reduced significantly(Following proper rules of posting or not). I noticed this, because i am not good enough to answer many of the doubts which are posted(Told you, i am beginner with C++), but can be helpful to newbies and beginner, whom i don't find now. Which pose the question, Did Daniweb rebuild really made it userfriendly?? User with considerable number of posts(Meaning: Quiet versed with Daniweb) shouldn't find it difficult with the migration(Mee too :D), and wouldn't think about leaving daniweb just because of some changes(Not underestimating) of the daniweb, which still have that forum touch.

So my point is, migration MIGHT(Stressed) be a bit overwhelming for vistors & newbies who made a account very recently, which prompt them to discontinue, thus MIGHT be causing the lose in traffic(Make sense na? Advanced users will never discontinue, just becase of this migration). Even i was a bit disconnected from daniweb, because of some ordeal with the e-mail notification system.

As for me, i am trying to improve myself so that i can answer better(Can't wait for newbies na? :D). Anyway thanks to daniweb once again(Can't miss doing this everytime)

Simply, there's less activity with so much less traffic. Communities like DaniWeb flourish because of constant new blood being injected into the community. We don't have that right now.

Simply, there's less activity with so much less traffic. Communities like DaniWeb flourish because of constant new blood being injected into the community. We don't have that right now.

So you are in agreement with what i am saying, right?? CJ

Well, no, because we have less traffic due entirely to SEO issues. Getting traffic from the search engines is the problem. Once they're ON the site, the conversion rate of registering and posting is actually better than it used to be.

Ok! I am very thankful for the info. Thank you very much. CJ

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.