I added a new fade effect when hovering over ads. Does it make the ads more noticeable? Is it really annoying? If you accidentally hover over, you have to wait for the fade effect to go way.

Recommended Answers

All 47 Replies

If you accidentally hover over, you have to wait for the fade effect to go way.

I would find this exceptionally annoying. Every site that has those green underlines piss me off every time I move the mouse...

But the in-text ads are annoying because it's habit to move the cursor over the words as you read them and then it takes forever to make them go away. This is a little different, no?

No.
Anytime we have to wait because an ad takes over the screen, even for a few seconds simply because we move the mouse, we get annoyed. Just because it's rampant across the web does not make it more acceptable to the user.

But it doesn't last for a few seconds?

If you accidentally hover over, you have to wait for the fade effect to go way.

This is bad, it means that one must watch out for the ads. Why not 'turn this thing around' and perhaps try to emphasize the ad area/frame itself instead?

I don't mind, I don't like it, but don't mind. It takes less than a second and after the first time you see it, you know what it is and you move your mouse.

The fade in/out is very quick so I do not find it annoying. However, in my case, I like your site and visit routinely. You need an unbiased opinion from those visitors just passing by since they are more likely to click on the ads (i would think).

I just now noticed that change -- at first I thought my eyesight was going because everything got a lot dimmer. I don't find it annoying at all, now that I know its not just my eyes. It makes the ads stand out a lot better which might increase the click rate. I haven't seen this anywhere else -- maybe you should hurry up and patten the idea before others copycat it.

commented: Haha! +0

You need an unbiased opinion from those visitors just passing by

Their "opinions" are gathered by closely monitoring site usage and statistics.

That's very important practice.

If you can't measure it, it can't be improved. Keep up the good work!

Member Avatar for diafol

I know ads are impt for revenue, but they annoy the hell out of me just by their mere presence. So highlighting them or doing anything to draw even more attention to them - I can feel my arteries hardening as I think about it. Luckily I have 'disable ads' checked in my profile :) Had to turn the feature off to see what you were on about. It isn't too debilitating I suppose, a bit like avoiding the bunkers on your approach shot. You just don't want to get caught up in one.

Is it really annoying?

Yes. It is.

Does it make the ads more noticeable?

If by 'noticeable', you mean 'more noticeably annoying', then yes, it does.

Hey guys,

Thanks for your feedback. Looks like they're not annoying at all so I'm pleasantly surprised :)

The only people who find them annoying it seems are those who already despise ads to begin with, and consequently have been keeping ads disabled in their profiles.

Those who don't mind ads in the first place and don't disable them seem to not have a big issue with the change.

So good :)

Do people who have ads disabled still see the fading? If they don't see the ads then how do they see the fading? And if they don't see the fading how can they be annoyed by it?

They enabled ads just to see what I was talking about.

They enabled ads just to see what I was talking about.

I have ads disabled in my profile and I have Adblock plus. I still have the "fading effect" however.

IIRC, you also need a script blocker for complete blocking because these things are Javascript based.

Well! All these time, i had anti-banner enabled in KAS. So i didn't use to see any ads(Infact no free space). But with this new upgrade, even though banner is not shown, fading effect still exists. Thankfully, disable ads was(is) not a paid feature, Thanks DANI. CJ

You shouldn't be seeing the fading effect with ads disabled in your member profile? Are you sure??

Sanjay, members can disable ads in their member profile. No javascript for loading the ads is sent. The ad servers aren't contacted. Nothing.

With ad blockers, often the ad servers are still contacted, and the browser just prevents the display/loading of the ads.

I meant with ads disabled, i don't see fading effect, so thanked.

I have ads disabled in my profile and I have Adblock plus. I still have the "fading effect" however.

Well this guy seems to have the problem. :D

Yes, I'm not sure what Nick means. Waiting for an explanation ...

Still can't get to the second page(But my posts are getting posted in that page for sure). CJ

What do you mean you can't get to the second page? What exactly happens when you click the link?

Thankfully, disable ads was(is) not a paid feature

Is this new with the update? I always thought it WAS a paid feature. Never noticed that little check-box till you mentioned it. How long's that been there?

As to the fade effect, it annoyed the heck out of me until I figured out what was happening and more importantly, how to stop it from happening. After that, and maybe I'm the only one, I actually like the fade, when I do it on purpose.

Google Incognito too not opeing this page.

Here are the screen shot: Can anyone IM me, if its my problem only.

Hmm ... seems like an Apache 500 error. I can't duplicate it, so it's probably that you triggered some weird uncaught exception. The problem is I had error reporting disabled in production ... I just went and enabled it. Can you try again?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.