Member Avatar for LastMitch

Hi Dani,

I realizes for the past minutes that you disable the ads. So my browser is not crashing. so how long do you want me to browses your site? It's been like 15 minutes.

Can I uncheck the

"Disable Ads?

now?

so it's not just me ..
i'm also using firefox, it was really annoying, it crashed several times and continuously, like right after restarting the browser,
i just always click the send report to firefox and restart my browser,

Hi Dani,

I don't want you get upset. But it's time to turn on the ads again. It's the javascript that you imported. I think it's best you put the old script that was has before you imported this script so you can ask someone to compile the new script to see why it's happening like this.

So the problem happened even with ads disabled?

DaniWeb has a lot of Javascript and we change a significant amount of javascript every single day. I need to pinpoint exactly what is causing the problem. It is impossible to simply revert to using the Javascript from two weeks ago ...... soooo much has changed.

Also, Javascript doesn't get compiled :)

azareth, how long has this problem been happening for you? When was the last time it happened? All the same questions I asked Mitch ;) Trying to figure out what the common denominator is when I can't reproduce this bug at all.

Hi Dani

So the problem happened even with ads disabled?

No

it's fine, I don't think it has something to do with the ads disabled.

Also, Javascript doesn't get compiled :)

Yes, you're right! I thought javascript was java but it's not. I forgot it's been a while I ever wrote javascript.

OK, my first crash is on the 15th of May.

I hope that will help

That date helps. I'll take a look and see if I can narrow it down.

If the problem did not happen with ads disabled, why do you think it is not realted to the ads?

Hi Dani,

It's nice to see some ads again. It's a bit dull before.

If the problem did not happen with ads disabled, why do you think it is not realted to the ads?

Only script crashes browsers not ads because all broswers are created by scripts. If ads can actually crash a website then I'll be the first one to post to you!

I unchecked

ads disabled.

on my profile.

I think you should feel more relieve that you know what the problem is now. I hope that will help you.

Huh? I'm not sure what you mean? The ads can definitely crash a browser because they all use Javascript.

It looks like I didn't reall change much Javascript on May 15th (when your problem started) but I did change a lot on the 11th, 12th, and 14th. Most of what I changed only executes when ads are enabled. So if the problem doesn't happen with ads disabled, we can narrow down the problem.

Hi Dani

Huh? I'm not sure what you mean? The ads can definitely crash a browser because they all use Javascript.

You're right Dani, you are very smart. But I doubt that Google Adword will do that.

It looks like I didn't reall change much Javascript on May 15th (when your problem started)

I came back that night which was the 14th near midnight to the 15th May. It was Mother's day weekend so I remember it. Time (May 14th 2012 11pm to 12am May 15th 2012) when I first post something that night.

but I did change a lot on the 11th, 12th, and 14th.

That's alot of changes.

You're right Dani, you are very smart. But I doubt that Google Adword will do that.

We use a mix of AdSense and third-party ads. They all use Javascript. I also made changes on the 11th and the 13th which alter the way the ad code is loaded.

Hi Dani,

Everything should be fine since you know the dates

11th, 12th, and 14th

that you make changes.

I think you can do it (figure out the issue) = )

So it's basically 6 or 7 scripts that you changes over the course of

11th, 12th, and 14th

The problem is I've been staring at the code for the past hour, re-reading it and re-reading it, and I can't find any bugs in the code modified on those dates.

Hi Dani,

Try this:

http://www.jslint.com/

I don't want you to get overwhelmed. I hope this will help.

Used the errors that I posted from Mozilla as a reference.

Nothing is reporting any javascript errors. Not firebug. Not chrome. Not IE.

I have a feeling that everyone with problems is using the same firefox plugin. What plugins are you using?

Hi Dani

I have this

Java TM Platform SE
Java Deployment

These are the only plugin that I think will interfere with the script you have.

These are my other plugin:

Adobe
Google Update
Microsoft Office
Microsoft Silverlight

I hope this will help.

The Java plugins wouldn't affect us at all. I think I have an idea though (as posted in the other thread). I think it's a video card / hardware issue on your computer that is crashing when trying to render the diagonal lines fading in effect when hovering over an ad. I removed the diagonal lines. Are you still getting crashes?

Hi Dani,

I don't want you to get upset. I find that you are a bit amusing when you ask these questions.

Are you still getting crashes?

No

I can't force my browser to crash if I'm on your site, it has to happend on it owned.

But it seems to me that you are getting closes to figuring this out.

I don't want you to get upset.

I'm upset but you're making me feel better by helping :) Thank you!

I can't force my browser to crash if I'm on your site, it has to happend on it owned.

But it happens often, right? If you click around like 15 times in a row and move the mouse all over, will it usually happen?

Please let me know if it happens again! :)

Hi Dani,

I click on ads top banner 15 times and hover it 15 times and the ad on the right and nothing happens.

Hi Dani

I think it's a video card / hardware issue on your computer that is crashing when trying to render the diagonal lines fading in effect when hovering over an ad. I removed the diagonal lines. Are you still getting crashes?

I don't think it has something to do with browser. If that actually is the problem it will be disaster for all computers

It's close to 1am in Eastern Time and I'm still on your site not reading post to learn something but reading your post to see that you are very frustrated. So I hope you can resolve this issue. I really don't know what else I can do.

I will let you know if it happens again.

So hang in there.

sorry for the late rep.
but i agree with LastMitch, it was around May 15 and along that week ..

OK thanks. Please let me know the next time it happens. I'm changing things one at a time and waiting for your feedback to see if it's fixed before changing some more ... Unfortunately I just can't duplicate it :(

ok.. but just to let you know recently it became less, if that helps..
i think you 're close to solving it, you're just frustrated ..

So it recently became less but it's still happening?

i didn't visit yesterday, but today it hasn't ..

OK thanks. Please let me know if it happens again! Thanks so much.

ok, no problem .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.