Hey guys.

Although I've stated several times that I absolutely love the new DaniWeb, I feel that something big has been left out: a nofitication system. How can I know when someone has replied to a post I've made, or to a reply I made to a post? I feel the only way of knowing that is by watching the "All Articles" tab in the homepage, or the "Recently Updated Articles". Though, what happens if I go away for two days and want to check out which of the articles I recently posted in have had replies?

Therefore, I'd recommend adding a Notifications button in the lower menu bar (or in the upper menu, besides the username) showing how many articles have been updated (with replies, marked as solved) in a facebook/stack overflow manner. I think it'd make things easier for some of us.

Greetings to all, and as I said, I LOVE the new site :D

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

How can I know when someone has replied to a post I've made, or to a reply I made to a post?

The new notification system is called "watching" articles. Below the quick reply editor is a button that says "Watch this Article". You can also edit your preferences to automatically watch articles you post in.

When you watch an article, you receive an email when it's been updated. To view all the articles you're currently watching, click the Watched Article link in the header.

Though, going all the way to my email to check when my article was updated seems to me like a way too long process. For instance, just now I was checking some old articles (remembering some old times) while expecting a response to this post. A notification system would've indicated me when your answer was posted. I am in favor to a weekly digest showing the posts in which you participated and such, but I also think a notification system would make things easier.

Perhaps it could be integrated as a number thingy (I don't know what's it called, but the same thing as in facebook, when a new notification is in order) in the "Watched Articles" link at the top? That way there's no major change in the interface.

Though, going all the way to my email to check when my article was updated seems to me like a way too long process.

Define "notification system". You can click on "Watched Articles" at the top of any page. You also get emails. If you don't want to be notified on the site, and you don't want to be notified via email ... how do you want to be notified?

The other way around: I'd like to be notified by email (I could get a reply while I'm not logged in), but I also would like to get notified on-site. I'm aware of the "Watched Articles" link at the top of the page, but I think something can be added to let you know if a watched article has been updated since the last time you watched it. For example, the number notification in facebook.

The way I see it (maybe this makes my point any clearer), it's as if facebook didn't show the little red number besides the notification button. That way, you can't know straight forward when you have new updates.

Oh, I see what you mean. You want Watched Articles to work the same way that Private Messages currently does.

YES!! That's exacty what I meant... Silly me for not mentioning the PM example :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.