I was trying to find a code snippet so I used the advanced search with the following parameters:

Query String = encryption
Forum = --VB.NET
Type of Article = Code Snippet

It came back with "No Results"

When I did a manual search of code snippets under vb.net I found this article which I think should have come up in the search. The hierarchy on that article is

Software Development > VB.NET > VB.NET Code Snippets > Simple Encryption

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

I can find it with google using "simple encryption site:www.daniweb.com". It comes up as the first hit. I just can't find it using the search provided by DaniWeb. It also comes up if I use the basic DaniWeb search (along with many other hits). If I try to narrow the search by providing the forum or the forum and the type of article I get No Results. Seems like this has resurfaced.

I didn't change anything. Google just was happy with search term "simle encryption" but not just with "encryption".

Well it isn't working again then.

Go to a DaniWeb page

Click "Search" to being up advanced search

Enter "encryption", --VB.NET and Code Snippet

Click "Search"

You get "No Results" even though the articles exist

Software Development > VB.NET > VB.NET Code Snippets > Encryption and Decryption Functions In Vb.net

Software Development > VB.NET > VB.NET Code Snippets > Simple Encryption

You get the same results if you use "simple encryption" as the search term.

Huh?? Did you check out my previous link? It works if you use simple encryption as the search term. Just not encryption by itself.

I checked out your previous link. Did you try what I did in my last post? I did what I would expect anyone who is doing a search would do. My thinking is "let's see, I remember that the post was about encryption and I remember it was in the VB.NET forum so...". Using the next logical steps - entering those values in the search fields - results in no hits. What happens when you follow the steps that I just did?

Apparently I don't understand anything anymore. I keep getting inconsistent results with the same query. I'm beginning to suspect I am having some kind of network problem. I had my router set to use OPENDNS. When I set it to the TBayTel recommended settings (which I have found to be somewhat unreliable) of 8.8.8.8, the search query returned the expected results. Perhaps I'll just assume that strange things are the result of network gremlins until I return home in September.

It's google's search algorithm. Depending on your IP address, you hit a different Google search server.

After much confusion and obfuscation I finally got to talk to someone at my summer ISP who was willing to give me some honest answers. It seems that the cell tower that services this area is overburdened such that when load is high (like on weekends), my internet pops in and out (mostly out at the moment). Overburdened in plain English means "we sold more accounts than we knew we had the equipment to handle". Of coure this doesn't show up a s a lost connection because my connection to the wireless hub is continuous. The diagnostic on the hub, however, shows my DND as PASS/FAIL/PASS/FAIL and so on.

So for the next while (like on weekends) I'll be popping in and out (and in and out and in and...)

Does your ISP have a SLA that guarantees uptime? Since you have someone there willing to admit to the problem, maybe you can get a partial refund?

Member Avatar for diafol

Sorry to wade in here:

It works if you use simple encryption as the search term. Just not encryption by itself.

Is that the way it's supposed to work? Sounds a bit screwy to me.

Is that the way it's supposed to work? Sounds a bit screwy to me.

It's Google's algorithm. Don't blame me.

I think he was referring to them selling more bandwith than they have available.

Member Avatar for diafol

Nuh, I was referring to getting hits with 'simple encryption' and not just 'encryption'.

It's Google's algorithm. Don't blame me.

A bit glib Dani? I can't fathom the poor performance of the search feature. I can never find what I'm looking for - I often get "no results", so I can just imagine that it must be as useful as a glass hammer to noobs. vBulletin native search vs Google - should be a no-brainer, but the old search was far better. I know you can't use vBulletin anymore, but there HAS to be a better alternative.

We've used Google-powered search since about 2007. The only difference is that we are now offering filtering abilities which we didn't before.

We used Sphinx for a short time a few years ago, but got a lot of complaints about the results so stopped using them and switched back to Google.

We haven't used vBulletin native search since about 2006.

Member Avatar for diafol

Apologies Dani - my mistake. Why is this Google search so poor compared to the previous incarnation with the vBulletin site? I may be wrong and have rose-tinted spex for the old search facility, but if it is just a perception, it's a darned strong one.

Our entire site structure changed with the relaunch, and so it's been taking Google awhile to respider our entire site and really grasp our new navigation structure and how pages are linked together. We lost a lot of search traffic as a result. Unfortunately, it's taking Google longer than expected to "relearn" the entire site.

Member Avatar for diafol

Fair one, thanks for the explanation Dani.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.