Member Avatar for LastMitch

Hi

Is it possible to add a new category and combining the old categories into one?

It's very difficult finding answer on this category.

It's MYSQLI & PDO there are some questions but not much. I had to go other forum to look for answers plus blogs but I prefer here, meaning if I type something in the Search, it will pop up some threads regarding about it, the topic is there but it's not in the category by itself?

Right now you have in the database:

MYSQL
MSSQL
Oracle

Is it possible to add a new category?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

If none of the sub forums are quite right for your question, you can post to the category (ie. Databases) and tag the thread accordingly.

@deceptikon

If none of the sub forums are quite right for your question, you can post to the category (ie. Databases) and tag the thread accordingly.

You like this:

PHP & MYSQL
PHP & MUSQL
PHP & MYSQLI
PHP & PDO

I feel and notice that a lot of questions are in the PHP section rather than in Database section.

I mean tagging works with other forums because it's a rule and requirement to do that if you want to post a question but I don't feel that Daniweb does that, nor should ask members to post tags before they submit their questions, I mean over the years tags are useful but I notice that it's not working at DaniWeb.

Most of my own questions I don't tag because I feel if I post the code or add certains words in the thread that I created someone either a member or moderater will answer that question regardless of the tag.

I mean I'll tagged it but it's not really working but I'll do it. If I need to find answer that way.

Mysqli and PDO are PHP modules - not databases. It is entirely appropriate to post them in the PHP forum.

@Ezzaral

Mysqli and PDO are PHP modules - not databases. It is entirely appropriate to post them in the PHP forum.

I never said nor mention anything in my post regarding about whether MYSQLI and PDO is appropriate to post in PHP?

I never said it was wrong or a mistake nor appropriate? Where did you read that?

Did you actually read what I wrote?

I wrote this

I feel and notice that a lot of questions are in the PHP section rather than in Database section.

Please don't put words in my mouth meaning qoute what I post not make up something!

I know that MYSQLI and PDO are PHP modules.

I don't want to rude but I think you need to get you fact straight. Either Wiki is lying or you didn't double your facts before you post that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQLi

MYSQLI is a Relational database another words it is a DATABASE!

MYSQLI and PDO are PHP modules. But Java also have that too:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/jdbc/overview/database.html

This is a link that pritaeas post on my thread.

http://www.seiretto.com/news/PHP-MySQLi-or-PDO-the-old-MySQL-extension-will-become-obsolete.php

He provide me a link above regarding about MYSQLI, it was very helpful and I learn something from that.

Please read the thread carefully before you post something!

Is it possible to add a new category? Yes or No?

If YES we dicussed about it or NO I will click Solved and more on.

Your quote:

MYSQLI is a Relational database another words it is a DATABASE!

From the Wiki:

The MySQLi Extension (MySQL Improved) is a relational database driver

The highlight is mine. As you can see, misquotes are easily made.

Either Wiki is lying or you didn't double your facts before you post that?

As pritaeas has noted above, it's a MySQL driver API for PHP, not an actual database. I'm fine on the facts.

But Java also have that too:

JDBC is Java's generic database API. It is a set of abstract interfaces to define interactions with many different database drivers. There is nothing in it that is specific to MySql. In that regard, it's similar to PDO.

Questions about these language-specific APIs belong in their respective language forums, rather than the more general Databases forum.

Please don't put words in my mouth meaning qoute what I post not make up something!

To be fair, your posts suggest a non-native English speaker and I've found them slightly difficult to decipher. It's not unreasonable to see misunderstanding your posts when not everyone speaks English at the same level or with the same background, so a little tolerance couldn't hurt.

In other words, please don't be so quick to take offense.

@pritaeas

The highlight is mine. As you can see, misquotes are easily made.

Not necessary. Mistyping or not typing correctly or proof read before I post is a mistake but still quotes are usually from a statement or some sort usually from books or some famous thoughts. Sadly,

I never said nor mention anything in my post regarding about whether MYSQLI and PDO is appropriate to post in PHP?

I never said it was wrong or a mistake nor appropriate?

What deceptikon said is reasonable:

He's finding a solution for the question I asked.

But what Ezzaral say

I don't need comments I know that already know that MYSQLI and PDO are PHP modules. I need solution or any solutions.

pritaeas

The point of the thread is a solution, I'm looking for a solution not an comment.

Base on your experience, you can have an opinion and thoughts about a categories in the Web Development.

I can't argue with you because you seen things change over the years at DaniWeb.

Again my question hasn't change:

Yes, it's possible. Either Dani or I would have to do it on the code/database side, but it's certainly possible. Whether adding categories when Daniweb is already fragmented (some would say overly fragmented) is another matter.

In the past we've gone with the petition route. If you can find enough people to petition for the addition of a new forum or category, we can consider it. The problem is that we don't want a lot of forums with low activity, so there needs to be sufficient demand before the addition can be justified.

Another thing to consider is that the tagging system is the intended future. With the design of the new system we were writing it with an eye toward making tags more of a key player (somewhat similar to Stack Overflow) than the current forum hierarchy.

commented: Thanks for answering my question! +0

@deceptikon

Yes, it's possible. Either Dani or I would have to do it on the code/database side, but it's certainly possible. Whether adding categories when Daniweb is already fragmented (some would say overly fragmented) is another matter.

Thanks for the explanations & clarification!

In the past we've gone with the petition route. If you can find enough people to petition for the addition of a new forum or category, we can consider it. The problem is that we don't want a lot of forums with low activity, so there needs to be sufficient demand before the addition can be justified.

That's gonna be very hard! I don't know anyone. I don't even know how to do that either. But it does sound very reachable.

Another thing to consider is that the tagging system is the intended future. With the design of the new system we were writing it with an eye toward making tags more of a key player (somewhat similar to Stack Overflow) than the current forum hierarchy.

I don't like Stack Overflow but if you can make it better than Stack Overflow then I have to give you both a lot of credit.

So you want members include me to start putting tags in the text area before submitted the article?

If you do that(meaning tags) what happend to the old threads for the past 10 years? Does it automatically do it by itself or it's like a matching array to match each word from the thread to create a tag? Something like that. I don't know.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.