I apologize for the downtime we've experienced over the past couple of days. We were in the process of moving servers, and it's finally compete :)

Sorry for any inconvenience,
Dani

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

Yes ... daniweb had become readonly in this period :D

Sorry ... but hopefully from now on we'll be faster. Do you notice any difference?

how long is this going to go on anyway? I still cannot access it from IE6 -- Firefox works ok.

Everything should be perfectly fine as of yesterday. I am an IE 6 user myself so DaniWeb definitely works in IE. Additionally, I'm in NY and the server is down in Texas, so it's not as if I have any special connection to the web server. If you can't access the site from one browser but you can from another on the same machine, I suspect you have something cached or perhaps a software firewall is acting up.

It's a good thing you fixed it, ya know, us Daniweb Junkies go through serious withdrawal when the site goes down ;)

Tell me about it :) Seriously though, glad its all working :D.

Ok, I LOVE the Avatar.

Lol, thanks you are the second person who has commented on it :).

I'm in NY and the server is down in Texas

Looks like the butterfly effect to me. ;)
Glad the server is up anyway. I actually started reading a book during the downtime. :cheesy:

There really hasn't been any consistant downtime. We were down two or three times over the past week, with no time being for more than an hour, in addition to about 5 hours during which DaniWeb was read-only while the database was being transferred to the new server.

There really hasn't been any consistant downtime.

yeah. That maybe why I couldn't finish reading. :sad:

If you can't access the site from one browser but you can from another on the same machine.

The IE6 is at work and FireFox is at home, about 20 miles away in a different city. I'm in Illinois and will try again this morning when I get to work.

Is it possible there is a proxy server at work that is caching the old DNS?

For some reason, your work is caching the old IP of daniweb.com. Until your work decides to update their DNS (grr) you can access DaniWeb from http://web.daniweb.com

Hurray! The link worked. Thanks :)

Lol, thanks you are the second person who has commented on it :).

I'm the third....I'm the third....I'm the third....

Cool Avatar

Yeah, you're the admin. You always get to be the first ;)

Did we finally move to VBB 3.5??

Im noticing threads i didnt read STILL BOLD when i re-login and that sucks!! (I think DATABASE THREAD TRACKING is awefull -- "Cookie based" thread tracking is much better)

Just wondering if we went 3.5 (Nothing wrong with 3.5 but when i noticed the threads,i started to wonder)

We went vB 3.5 a few days ago and we are using database thread tracking. Personally, I like it much better. May I ask why you don't?

Well because you have to remember to click MARK ALL READ before you logout,otherwise you lose your place :)

Im not mad or anything honey and THANK YOU for being honest :)

I knew straight away when the change occured (the threads))

Ill just have to remember to click MARK ALL READ before i logout (I have to do that on a couple other 3.5 sites also)

Not to worry!!

I'm confused why. For me, when I click on the Posts Since Last Visit link, it works the same way with 3.0.x as it does with 3.5. The only difference is now it additionally shows "threads that have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts" below the listing. I find it more helpful :)

Hmmmm

I dont know why VBULLETIN included DATABASE thread tracking anyway on 3.5,its very MEMORY HEAVY on the DB,its silly to store stuff that way..... (Uses alot of storage to remember everyones last read post,etc......)

Regardless they should have made it a LOCAL OPTION that the user can control from thier control panel (Allow members to choose DB tracking or the old way on thier account) -- That would make more sense than what they did (Made it a global setting either 1 or the other)

Ah well..

It's not as memory heavy as you might think because once you visit a forum, it automatically considers all threads within that forum older than 15 days as read. (From what I understand at least, I might be mistaken). The previous cookie-based method wasn't working well for us because a lot of our members access the site from home and from work and cookies don't remember settings. Additionally, a lot of the Windows users frequently clear their cookie settings when trying to debug IE problems and browser hijacks. Besides, without database-stored thread marking, I wouldn't be able to have added that neat feature to the homepage that shows recently viewed threads when you're logged in :)

Ah i see :)

Well like i said,nothing to worry about.......

:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.