Just wondering as I've been caught by it twice now.

It is intentional that after pressing the code button you can't close the code entry window without first entering some text? So if you accidently press it, it forces me to put a random one letter code block to then be removed in order for me to continue posting.

Just a small annoyance when I manage to do it :)

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Hit the Esc key to cancel the code insertion.

Esc doesn't close the window, at least it doesn't work in IE9. Maybe you should put a Cancel button on the code window.

Does the window have focus when you click Esc? It should work across all browsers.

Yes, it has focus. The only time Esc works is if I first hit Insert Code Snippet button, get an error message, press the Ok button on that window, then Esc will close the code window.

@AD, Just tried it on my IE8, the escape doesnt work while the code box has focus, however if you click in the grayed out area around it and then press escape it closes for me.

I do have to agree though a little [x] to close it would be much more obvious to those who haven't been told how to shut it.

I would like to suggest a second button for Cancel beside the current Submit.

however if you click in the grayed out area around it and then press escape it closes for me.

Just hitting 'Escape' should work without having to click around anywhere.

Member Avatar for diafol

Just hitting 'Escape' should work without having to click around anywhere.

Out of interest, I tried it. No - as described, you need to click off the modal before Esc works. Another nail in the eye of IE9 :)

In Firefox, what I have found is that pressing Escape hides the code window. When I click Code again, it comes up with the exact same text that was in it before I pressed Esc, even if in another post.

Member Avatar for diafol

SO it's just hidden, not emptied.

Yes, and that's done by design.

Member Avatar for diafol

SOunds reasonable. I'd be annoyed if I lost a big wedge of manually typed code if I pressed Esc instead of some other key up there in that corner.

Great News: Using Chrome browser Esc works as expected in Windows 8, no need to click anywhere. And yes, it still retains the text you previously entered.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.