Wouldn't be nice to have a daniweb application for iphone? I mean, for an easier access to the website. I don't know if this ideea was proposed before, but I would lile to know if you thought of such an application.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

How would this iphone app you propose differ from the site? Don't know about you but I find code-containing and code-posting forums a little difficult to 'appify'. Twitter and FB can do it as the posts are usually just simple text (for simpletons!). Or have I got it wrong (again)?

It might be useful for just browsing the forums, such as when a student is in class and wants to search for something. But even then it would be difficult to read a long-winded post with lots of code.

There are lots of areas of the site that aren't focused around code ... in fact, the majority, when you factor in all of Hardware and Software and Internet Marketing. However, even then, the site is pretty fully functional when viewed from a mobile web browser already. I'm not really sure there's a need to reinvent the wheel.

Well even for the code part, I personally, write a lot of simple codes on my iphone (got C/C++/Java environments) and it would be nice to have something different, another point of view of the site, and perhaps, as AD said, for an easy search on the forums. It's kinda hard for me to navigate through daniweb from my iphone, I give you that, but I usually find myself in "tight" spots with a little bit of time to navigate the net and usually when it happens I'm on danyweb. And it's not about reinventing the wheel as bringing a new point of view about the current situation. Perhaps something different from the usual look and access of the site. But it was just an innocent ideea, and maybe, in the future, I could come up with some ideas along the way also.
Later edit: note also that the Markdown syntax of formatting the code is unavaible from my browser (safari, maxthon, chrome or atomic browser). I have to admit, I didn't test it on dolphin or opera mini, but I guess it will yeld the same result.

Later edit: note also that the Markdown syntax of formatting the code is unavaible from my browser

Huh? Just hit the Code button and paste your code inside it. you don't manually add any markdown code to it.

Member Avatar for diafol

There are lots of areas of the site that aren't focused around code

Indeed, but I assumed that the app would be able to access all of DW's areas. Of course, that's a bit assumption as FB/Twitduh offer cut-down apps. As for using an iPhone for code posting - I think you're a masochist. I tried using my HTC to do exactly that this summer and although it's a huge screen, my monkey hands made it a serious 'don't-do-this-again-you-fool' moment. But hey, that's me. It would be interesting to know how many people out there use a mobile (note - not tablet) to post code into fora.

The editor toolbar (including the Code button) doesn't work from mobile browsers.

AD

Huh? Just hit the Code button and paste your code inside it. you don't manually add any markdown code to it.

Dani

The editor toolbar (including the Code button) doesn't work from mobile browsers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.