I hope all of you NY DaniWebbers are safe and sound somewhere waiting out the worst of the storm. My older son, Adam, is safely ensconced in the Laufer Center at Stony Brook University with several days worth of food. The power at his house is out but fortunately the university has its own power.

Stay safe, Dani.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Yeah, good luck to our NY daniwebbers! Even north of the border, safe in my apartment thirteen floors up above downtown Montreal, the winds are whistling really strong. As long as the Daniweb servers don't get blacked out, the world won't come to an end. ;)

I am sure that the NY people will be fine, I mean its only a level 1 right... or is it called categories... whatever it is, the NY people aren't going to suffer very much (unless they stress over poweroutages and lots of water or maybe if they don't have a home).
To wrap things up... EVERYONE IS GOING TO MAKE IT THROUGH SAFELY!

Tell that to the 13 people who have died so far...

Anyway, here's my belated best wishes to everyone at DW HQ. Hope Long Island made it through without too much damage to people and property.

Only a level 1? I think they said it was the worst storm ever recorded in the Atlantic. The last I heard from Long Island (Stony Brook) was at 10:00 EDT Monday. My son said the wind had died down considerably.

All my best wishes too to everyone at DW HQ.

Best wishes for those in the northeast. Having experienced several hurricanes, I know first hand of the devastating effects of these types of storms. I've seen homes destroyed, been through no power/gas for weeks, etc.. Its tough, especially for those areas that not accustomed to this type of weather.

I am hearing on the radio this morning that Long Island and Manhatten took the brunt of the storm. The subway appears to be flooded as well. New Jersey is not doing too well either. Here in the Toronto area, we had only one fatality. My prayers are with the people living in the area.

Hey guys ... thanks for all the well wishes. Over 75% of Long Island is out of power, and they are saying it will be about a week to 10 days before power is restored to everyone. All roads are closed between fallen power lines and fallen trees.

I live in a high-rise apartment complex that is completely off the grid, so I am one of the lucky ones who still has power. I'm playing host to some family friends whose home is currently entirely under water.

I am in office right now, but my living area is completely black.. My well wishes are all for NY people!!

Wow, I came back from school today... and there were casualities... man CNN is way off -_-
STAY SAFE NY!

That is great :)

Status Update:

Still playing host to a family of four whose home was destroyed.

Our office has no Internet and, being that it hosts our SVN, I can't do any development work on the site.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@Dani

Our office has no Internet and, being that it hosts our SVN, I can't do any development work on the site.

Do you know when you will be able to work again?

That's very nice of you doing that for a family.

Did you help clean up?

I had clean up yesterday I had like 5 large bags of leaves and 2 wrapped rows of little branches. The Sanitation just pick up all of it like half hour ago.

Hopefully things will be back to normal.

You'll feel better again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.