I'm trying to take AD's advice and create a custom page with a big list of endorsement suggestions. Still working on it :)

Member Avatar for diafol

That is brilliant Dani. I've just been able to endorse almost everybody I could think of in one go! Big hand.

OK so I created the link to ENDORSE in the top header for members who are logged in, and, to make room, I moved the link for the Member Rules down to the site footer.

This makes more sense because the ability to see all of your endorsement suggestions fits nicely next to viewing watched articles and private messages.

Meanwhile, the Member Rules makes more sense next to our Terms of Service and such. Additionally, this lets our Rules page be accessible by everyone instead of just logged in members, so that's an added bonus.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@Dani

I'm trying to take AD's advice and create a custom page with a big list of endorsement suggestions. Still working on it :)

I like the new Endorsement Page! Very convenience. Is this JQuery or Flash? If it's JQuery then I think you did a very good job!

It's jQuery, thanks.

Now that you all understand the premise behind endorsing members, what features would you like to see implemented? How can this new information of who endorses who be leveraged in a way that is beneficial?

@Dani

Now that you all understand the premise behind endorsing members, what features would you like to see implemented?

You are very happy and motivated! The word "Endorse" is very heavy. It's like you voted and put a stamp approval of the skills of this member.

How can this new information of who endorses who be leveraged in a way that is beneficial?

I can't think of an leverage maybe you can explain more about leverage.

What is the leverage of a member who has less or equal skills benefit by asking a tough question or asking for help having a long term mutual professional connections on Daniweb?

Member Avatar for diafol

At the moment I suppose it'll be perceived in a similar way to some of the ranking system links. It's a badge of 'trust' that's independent of the universal 'solved' and fickle reps systems, so for that alone, I think it's extremely beneficial as is. I wonder how long it'll be before we see 'Endorse Me' links in users' sigs, though. Some endorsements carry more weight than others of course. An endorsement from a long-standing member, mod, admin etc. will have more kudos than from an user with a couple of posts under his/her belt. Do you mean to 'kudosify' it? If so, the use may be blurred with the rep system, where mods etc have greater ability to affect rep.
No two ways, a great feature, but how to extend it to make it more beneficial? Unsure, but as LastMitch suggests, I would imagine that some way of developing exposure of professional competence? But again, it would be a very rough measure I think.

Diafol, I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "kudosify" it ... I sorta feel like everything is essentially giving kudos be it the reputation system, voting system, or new endorsement system. Ultimately the distinction I'm hoping to make between endorsing a member for their skills and the voting/reputation system is that the latter is community-oriented and based on community interactions while the former is truly based on ones qualifications and expertise on a more professional level.

Member Avatar for diafol

'Kudosify' in the context to which I was referring was aimed at more kudos from longstanding members, less from noobs.

Ultimately the distinction I'm hoping to make between endorsing a member for their skills and the voting/reputation system is that the latter is community-oriented and based on community interactions while the former is truly based on ones qualifications and expertise on a more professional level.

Yes agree 100%.

At least for now, I am intentionally making it somewhat difficult to endorse members (i.e. only via their member profile or the Endorse page), and leaving it out from within posts, so as to not confuse it with the knee-jerk reaction of voting on the post.

Member Avatar for diafol

BTW is the tick display related to this? Noticed on some posts - what does it mean?

It's a hint to how much kudos the thread starter has (an algorithm based on their reputation, solved threads, and endorsements), to help you judge the quality of the question being asked.

Member Avatar for diafol

Thanks for the explanation.

It's a hint to how much kudos the thread starter has (an algorithm based on their reputation, solved threads, and endorsements), to help you judge the quality of the question being asked.

I notice Ancient Dragon is the only member that has 5 checks. He's the league by himself.

I notice Ancient Dragon is the only member that has 5 checks.

Look again. There are several threads here in Community Feedback with 5 checks that I did not start.

I'm changing the criteria for the number of checks as we speak. There was a point where very, very few people (you among them) had 5.

I don't see how to endorse someone any more. I think it was yesterday that there was a link in the member's profikle just above Rep grap, but that's gone now. When I click Skill Endorsements all I see is a list of people who have endorsed that member.

[edit]Nevermind. I found the answer here

If you're in the Skill Endorsements tab on a member profile, you can click on the 'Me' box to endorse the member for a particular skill.

@AD

Look again. There are several threads here in Community Feedback with 5 checks that I did not start.

No, I think Dani make some changes now before you were the only person I saw that has 5 checks!

This is all from the Geek's Lounge before the changes:

Dani has 3
HappyGeek has 3
The Dude has 2
Duki has 2
debasisdas has 1
vegaseat has 1
PHP
pritaeas has 2
diafol has 2

Now everyone I mention has 5 checks.

I'm not sure how this work:

an algorithm based on their reputation, solved threads, and endorsements

@Dani

There was a point where very, very few people (you among them) had 5.

I don't want to be nosy but I'm just curious beside AD who else has 5 checks?

Member Avatar for diafol

It's a nice feature. Does it impart what you intend though? Will noobs / casual users know what it means? It reminds me of the old 'busy thread'.

The idea is that it is supposed to be similar to the old "popular threads" ranking system on article pages. All I really want people to understand at first glance is that these articles are featured in some way and for some reason. People should catch on that they tend to be of a higher quality, overall. I'm actually still tweaking the criteria determing how many checkmarks an article gets.

@Dani

What is the difference between promoted & solved?

A solved article has been solved. A promoted article has been temporarily pushed to the top of the list because of the reason explained in this thread.

@Dani

A solved article has been solved. A promoted article has been temporarily pushed to the top of the list because of the reason explained in this thread.

OK, Thanks. Another new feature.

Member Avatar for diafol

A promoted article has been temporarily pushed to the top of the list because of the reason explained in this thread.

Which reason? Did I miss it?

@Dani

A promoted article has been temporarily pushed to the top of the list because of the reason explained in this thread.

What happned to those checks and promote themes?

I notice that there's OP Kudas what does that mean?

I hope you didn't put it under the rug and forget about it?

commented: To Rectify what some retard did to LastMitch +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.