So there is this new check mark feature where articles earn a ranking of 0-5 checkmarks based on the kudos awarded to the thread starter. The idea is to make it easy to find questions asked by seasoned DaniWebbers.

What do you guys think about making questions with at least one checkmark (there aren't very many of them) float to the top of the list (right below stickies) for up to 24 hours after starting a thread?

The idea is that members with a lot of kudos (mostly earned from replying to questions) are rewarded by any question they ask themselves being featured at the top of the forum for 24 hours.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

It seems the only place where that would be useful is in the Community Center forums. I don't see any threads on the first page of any of the other forums where anyone with more than 0 checksmarks have started threads.

There are a handful outside Community Center, but not very many. The idea would be to incentivise quality members to ask questions and start discussions, and those that did would have their articles featured to draw more attention ... both as an incentive and because they tend to be higher quality than the average.

Sorry to be negative, but it sounds to me like you're trying to turn Daniweb into an
exclusive 'club', wanting only 'quality' questions. Some of the answers I read are already a bit sharp to say the least, and not everyone has the thought to look for manuals etc; first, they look to seasoned programmers for help, not critcism of thier skills or lack thereof.

A problem here at DaniWeb is that the community is divided into two groups: newbies and question-askers, and season professionals who are question answerers. I'm attempting to blur the line to create a giant community where there are questions of varying difficulty level, and someone who is good at answering questions in one section, might have questions to ask in another, and shouldn't feel embarassed to do so or let their ego get in the way.

The purpose of this feature is to encourage seasoned professionals to not only offer assistance to others, but come to the site to receive help and interact with other seasoned professionals on their same level.

It rewards those who have been helpful answering questions in the past, by featuring any questions that they should ask. The idea is that if you build up enough ego-boosting kudos on the site by answering others, you might be more inclined to post a question that you have because it will be featured and therefore have a better chance of being seen and answered.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@Dani

What do you guys think about making questions with at least one checkmark (there aren't very many of them) float to the top of the list (right below stickies) for up to 24 hours after starting a thread?

I was wondering what happend to those checkmarks? What does OP stand for in OP Kudos:? Like when it is solve it said OP Kudos:Solved:? I think it only appear 2 days if I remember? Is there any plans in the future for this or is this just temporary just like trial and error?

The idea is that members with a lot of kudos (mostly earned from replying to questions) are rewarded by any question they ask themselves being featured at the top of the forum for 24 hours.

I think members that post articles daily should be reward a kudos because those members keep Daniweb active and also encourage new members to also post articles.

The purpose of this feature is to encourage seasoned professionals to not only offer assistance to others, but come to the site to receive help and interact with other seasoned professionals on their same level.

It rewards those who have been helpful answering questions in the past, by featuring any questions that they should ask. The idea is that if you build up enough ego-boosting kudos on the site by answering others, you might be more inclined to post a question that you have because it will be featured and therefore have a better chance of being seen and answered

I do post articles to learn more about a topic which is in PHP. I'm not embarassed to ask questions because I"m still learning and when I create articles I'm glad that any members can come to my thread teach and explain the issue to me and also resolve it and also I learn the correct way.

commented: To Rectify what some retard did to LastMitch +0

Forum Linguistics 101:

What does OP stand for in OP Kudos:?

(a) Operating Peethan
(b) Obnoxious Pre-madonna
(c) Overflowing Pie-hole
(d) Original Poster

Which one of these multiple choices is correct?

commented: Letter d. Thanks ! +0

My guess is (c), Overflowing Pie-Hole :)

Member Avatar for diafol

I can appreciate the idea, but I don't know how useful it is. I think the seasoned programmers / heavy contributors know each other quite well by now and when they spot a question from their peers, they prioritize them. I may be wrong though. As far as declaring 'This is a quality post - so take note you noobs' - then yes, I think useful. Having said that, I suspect some inane thread starter of mine would have this label - so the pressure's on not to look like too much of a pleb in front of the real programmers. :(

I have to say, it's far prettier than those ugly checkmarks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.