As if you didn't have enough to do...

There are certain articles that I would like to bookmark because I either want to return to them at a later date for a more detailed look, or that I would like to cite in response to a new question (usually one that keeps getting asked by different people). I know I can bookmark using my browser but I can't access these bookmarks if I have to restore an image (unless I export and import) or if I am on another machine.

I suggest a bookmark feture that is internal to DaniWeb. The feature would allow me to create a list associated with my userid. If I bookmark a particular post in a thread, it could be saved as

[Thread Name](post URL)

Clicking on the bookmark would take me to the post (just like a regular link in post) but I could also copy and paste it into a thread. Perhaps a button on the edit box (labeled Bookmark) could display a popup of my bookmarks for selection and insertion similar to the Code button.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Does the article watch feature not suitably do everything you want? It doesn't bookmark specific posts, but finding the post in an article shouldn't be a problem for all but the ones with many pages.

You can also click on the time posted link (at the top left of each post, next to your avatar or user name) to get a permanent link that can be pasted into another post as a cross reference.

The bookmarks would get lost in the watch list (I currently have 3 pages of Watched articles). And the feature as I have suggested it would allow a quick and easy method of insertion into posts (public or private).

why not just use your browser's bookmark feature?

why not just use your browser's bookmark feature?

It is not integrated with DaniWeb. An integrated feature would contain only DaniWeb related bookmarks. An "insert bookmark" button would insert the link in the format appropriate to DaniWeb with the displayed text in square brackets followed by the link in parentheses. As I also stated above, DaniWeb bookmarks would be associated with my DaniWeb account (just like watched articles and other settings) rather than with my computer. As an example, my computer is in the shop for a couple of weeks so I am using an old clunker with a crappy "A" key and other problems so I do not have access to my browser bookmarks. DniWeb bookmarks would always be available to me on any computer.

The bookmarks would get lost in the watch list (I currently have 3 pages of Watched articles).

They'd also get lost in the bookmark list if you have a lot. ;) Maybe I'm just the only one that turns off automatic watching as a matter of course and only uses the feature for transient stuff or very important threads I don't want to lose.

A collection of favorite posts doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I would like to hear Dani weigh in on it before I start thinking about implementation.

I'm not so sure it would be a very heavily used feature. As James says, you can make your watched list function as a list of just your favorite threads. That's why we offer separate lists for easy access to threads you started or recently viewed.

With regards to the browser's bookmark feature, you can create subcategories so that it's organized with all DaniWeb threads in a specific folder, or even a specific subselection of folders. Plus, there used to be sooooo many bookmarking websites out there and they all basically died out over the years.

As previously mentioned, I'm not so sure it's a bad feature. It's nice that it would be integrated, for example. But I just can't see it being used on a massive scale, and you could probably meet your needs even better by using a browser extension or plugin that is designed to manage your bookmarks and easily insert them into web pages.

Maybe I'm just the only one that turns off automatic watching as a matter of course

I started doing that years ago.

so I do not have access to my browser bookmarks

Use Google bookmarks, they are portable (with or without the toolbar).

I didn't know google bookmarks existed, that will solve one of the torns in my side too.

I refuse to use an online bookmarking system that I don't trust and I do not trust Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc to keep my information private.

However, I trust DaniWeb so I would have no objections to storing DaniWeb bookmarks on DaniWeb itself.

commented: Thank you for the vote of confidence! +0

I refuse to use an online bookmarking system that I don't trust

Make your own then. And while you're at it, make it a tutorial too :D

Make your own then.

I'd rather remove my own spleen with only a bottle of scotch and a rusty razor blade than do web programming. It's much easier to just complain. I'm old and it's what old people do best :P

commented: Well said! +0
commented: Hehe :) +0

much easier to just complain

hear, hear!

@Reverend Jim,
Three bottles of Scotch... no need for the blade!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.