daniweb should have a LCD looking button which will be off when that person is not online otherwise green. i have seen on many maths forumns. it is sometimes nice and helpful. we can have this feature if possible :-)

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

I think this feature is more vb boards and wasn't implement in the new build. I don't think it's needed, personally, I find it annoying when people know you're online.. Sometimes I got: "You're online, I can see it but you're still not replying to m thread" awkward.

but, why all other do have it ? any special reason for this feature. I am asking you because i truly don't know the reason for having it (specially in the forumns). thanks.

P.S nice explaination though!

It may be due to competition. The sort of league Daniweb is in I wouldn't be surprised if there were other similar forums wanting to compare stats.

daniweb has no comparisons. truly saying! people, admins and volunteers on daniweb are extremly helpful and well maintained. no forums can compete daniweb (in context of computers ) atleast till next few decades. :)

Note that this is a dual feature, and the second part makes the first part less useful. If we implement some sort of notification that people are online, we'll also need to include a way to disable it and allow people to be invisible. Otherwise it has too much of a "Big Brother" feel.

Honestly, while I did find it interesting to see whether someone was online, I myself chose to be invisible. Honestly, I'm not sure whether that feature makes sense for Daniweb or if it would be nothing more than feature matching to compete with other forums (which I don't think we need to do).

Otherwise it has too much of a "Big Brother" feel.

IMHO the "User1 is reading a private message from User2" in the activity stream is also border-line big brother.

You can always turn on invisibility mode in your Profile then you won't appear in the activity stream.

I have it turned off. I just think that message shouldn't be shown at all.

I have it off too, and for the same reason. Nobody's business what I'm doing.

hmm... but why do we have this feature this minutes ago in everybody's profile . Any special reasons ? i mean what it actually create difference that this person has last visit these days or these minutes ago ? thanks.

hmm... but why do we have this feature this minutes ago in everybody's profile . Any special reasons ? i mean what it actually create difference that this person has last visit these days or these minutes ago ? thanks.

@Nitin
hmm two questions
1) What will you think when you see last visit: 2 Minutes ago?

and

2) What will you think when you see last visit: 2 Months ago?

yes, how can it be helpful for me ?

Member Avatar for diafol

I turn off visibility too. I'd hate to see an LED / online status next to my avatar. If I wanted to be contacted I'd use the IRC channel. I don't and I don't. :)

You will go incognito to other users, but not to admin.

My comment above wasn't supposed to sound conspiratorial. Sorry if it did.

The information available to the Admin of Daniweb is also available to the Admin of every forum you are subscribed to. The reason you know about that page giving a general list of activity is because of Daniweb's being more transparent than all the other sites you are subscribed to, where that info is not available.

yes, how can it be helpful for me ?

Few months ago I was unable to post in any thread. So I sent private message to deceptikon, But his last visit was showing few hours ago. Then I messaged Dani bacause her last visit was few minutes ago and I got quick reply from her and my problem was solved too.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.