Is there any scope in enhancing features of the forums to increase the experience of using Tablets? It wouldn't need to be a significant change, just something that says, 'Tablet Friendlier'.

Perhaps there could be an alternate front-end that displays the current drop-down menus in a different way. Perhaps it could be even more button structured. Although Daniweb won't be the first to do it, it would be right up there with the likes of Youtube and others as an early adopter.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

I second that emotion. I'd love to have a better DaniWeb experience on my iPad, seeing as that's pretty much all I use when I am away from the office these days.

It really comes down to a time factor. The amount of time it would take to redesign a front end for tablet and mobile devices when only 1% of our audience is on a tablet/mobile device. From what I understand, half of that percentage is just Davey alone.

Hehe. My bad :)

70% of the time i use daniweb (when not uploading code/files) on my iPad and iPhone... so i see get the idea of this topic...

All i really need for mobile is the edit ribbon... i don't want to remember all the shortcuts on how to link, quote, code, etc.

It won't be that important to update the mobile version of the site maybe until another year or 3 years... (or at least wait until you get 15% traffic from mobile)

This is just a Tech Tip from someone you really don't know, I realise this, but it would be a big plus for the Daniweb showcase. I'd recommend making moves in this direction if not now, then in Q1 2013 at least.

Tablet friendliness is certainly much more than just big buttons. :-)

IMO I would think that people who are looking for tech help are typically looking for help with programming issues or with operational (configuration, driver, virus, hardware, etc) issues. Tablets are pretty much oriented to content consumers. Programming issues are in the realm of content creators. As for operational issues, from what I know about tablets they are more like appliances rather than tinkertoys. Has anyone seen much in the way of people asking for tech help with tablets other than "how does tablet X compare to tablet Y"? Is this really going to change enough in the near future to make the effort worthwhile?

It's not about getting tech help with tablets, Rev, but rather getting tech help (and everything else DaniWeb) with more ease when using a tablet. The iPad DaniWeb experience isn't all it could be, certain bits of the UI are not there or do not work, and this thread was about having a more tablet-friendly version of DaniWeb for those users. However, Dani has kind of put the idea to bed as it appears I'm the major iPad using DaniWebber :)

Don't think your the only iPad using daniwebber... ;)

Note --- i am writing this on iPad :)

Just looked it up. 2.19% of our audience use an iOS device. 0.81% use an iPad.

I can't imagine using DaniWeb on my iPhone to be honest, that would have to be a real emergency situation for me. As my vision has become worse I tend to use the iPhone where Siri can be stirred into action, and the iPad for most everything else. The iPhone has become, and I hope everyone is sitting down, a phone more than anything else...

The low % of people who use tablet/mobile on Dani could also be partly as a result of the poor user experience on those devices. I know when we made changes to one of our sites to make it more mobile/tablet friendly we had nearly a 10% increase in use of those devices on our site. Not saying it will be the same here on Dani as the target audience is different, however with the changes Windows 8 brought I think were going to start seeing dramatic reductions in the use of standard PC's. Coding by it's nature can be nearly impossible on mobile devices however (can't imagine trying to code in PHP with iOS auto correct changing everything on me lol) but that's just my 2 cents.

Man, using a phone to use daniweb on will be a huge pain... if your going to put code up or something like that... sorry Dani...

Man, using a phone to use daniweb on will be a huge pain... if your going to put code up or something like that... sorry Dani...

Nobody would put code up from a tablet device anyway by hand writing it. I don't know of any IDE's that exist on them. Even if they did exist tablets have copy and paste functionality. Let alone a mobile phone. I only ever use my phone to reply to short posts that do not really need code functionality

I don't know of any IDE's that exist on them.

There are IDEs, editors, and compilers that run on a tablet...but they all suck. However, it doesn't strike me as unreasonable to use something like Ideone to write and compile code, then copy/paste it into a post all on a tablet. Awkward, yes, but not so awkward as to be completely prohibitive.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.