Hello,

I don't want to look like I am following other forums, but, wouldn't it be a good idea for users (with a certain amount of rep) to have basic moderation tools, or, atleast the ability to edit posts by users and:

1) The person who posted can accept this edit

2) Other users can vote to say this edit was good

3) A moderator can accept the edit.

Just because I see this sometimes:

http://www.daniweb.com/software-development/cpp/threads/443078/matrix-multiplication

(I am not singling this user out, just a recent example) where the code isn't in code tags. It would be so much easier if users with a certain amount of rep can edit these articles, or, vote that they are closed - If they are not relevant or the question has already been asked and answered.

Thoughts, please?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I would be in favor of a feature similar to "flag bad post" but for an edit request, for small edits like fixing formatting.

From what it sounds like, you are kinda asking for a system very similar to what is on stackoverflow (progressive moderator-powers as rep goes up, acceptance / withdrawals of edits, etc.). I don't think that really fits well on Daniweb. The idea is generally to have back and forth discussions, not the more strict Q&A format of SO.

My opinion of the specific points:

1) The person who posted can accept this edit

I think that could easily become an annoyance, especially with if you have a very inclusive population of semi-mods.

2) Other users can vote to say this edit was good

Complicates the interfaces, confuses people.

3) A moderator can accept the edit.

I guess that could be alright. Something like if you (non-mod) edit a post, it doesn't show up on the post immediately, but gets sent to the moderation channel (similar to the current "flag bad post" feature), and mods can come around and accept / reject / amend the edit. That could be useful and not too much of a burden to mods. But then again, there is a possibility of abuse if you put some button like "propose an edit" (next to "flag bad post"), then that might open too much of a flood-gate for nit-pickers and "revisionists" (there are a lot of those on stackoverflow).

I would be in favor of a feature similar to "flag bad post" but for an edit request, for small edits like fixing formatting.

You mean we can't do that now??? Just hit Flag Bad Post and comment "add code tags" or some other editing problem.

I don't like the idea of non-mods editing posts -- too dangerous no matter how good the intent. As I said earlier, all members already have the ability to suggest mods edit posts for some reason.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.