Is there a way to change your avatar into an animated avatar?

Recommended Answers

All 30 Replies

On Daniweb of course...

I hope not.

I have seen a few avatars that are animated... Know how to upload one?

I've seen loads of animated avatars but have yet to see one that is worth having. Distracting abomination, unless you are 12 years old.

I am 14.... Close enough...

See. Point proven :)

I will be 49 in just over a week now...

Happy early b-day!

So back to the question... Know how to do it?

Thanks and nope. And if I did, I wouldn't tell :)

I'm almost 70 and I like animated avatars -- especially the one with a cartoon guy beating his head against the desk with blood spirting all over. Another I though was funny was someone reached through the computer monitor and slapped he hell out of the user.

But can you imagine if every DaniWeb member had one? Eek!

Is there a way to change your avatar into an animated avatar?

No. When you upload an avatar, we resize it internally to ensure that it's 80x80, and the method we use to do that only returns the first frame of an animated image.

I have seen a few avatars that are animated... Know how to upload one?

Most likely you've seen avatars that were grandfathered in during the migration from vBulletin to the current system. That would have side steped our upload process, but it doesn't help you now because the only way to get an animated avatar if you didn't already have one would be to edit the database manually.

Well i think u can check that link if u like and download one of your choice :)

No Dragons (sob!)

When you upload an avatar, we resize it internally to ensure that it's 80x80, and the method we use to do that only returns the first frame of an animated image.

And what happens if the original image is 80x80? You still resize it? If not, we now have a way of uploading animated avatars. If yes, you folks are bad guys. ;)

And what happens if the original image is 80x80? You still resize it?

A resize is always attempted, regardless of the original dimensions. Honestly, I haven't tested whether an 80x80 animated image flows through (ie. the imaging library treats it as a no-op), or if the resize still behaves the same way regardless of original dimensions. What you suggested may be a workaround.

If yes, you folks are bad guys. ;)

How so? ;)

Okay, so it's not really possible anymore? Well okay, guess that answers my question.

@deceptikon, please update or allow Michael to upload an animated pic. anything to swap out that horrendous avatar that he currently has that looks like a cross between a Chihuahua and an an Ostrich. lol...

commented: Hahaha :) +0

@deceptikon, please update or allow Michael to upload an animated pic. anything to swap out that horrendous avatar that he currently has that looks like a cross between a Chihuahua and an an Ostrich. lol...

Haha! But seriously...you think that thing would be better animated? O_o

How so? ;)

Because you folks convert a GIF to a static image even if you don't have to. Oh the shattered hopes and dreams... :)

Haha thank you JorgeM :)... I'd personally say an ostrich and a cat.

So anyways, is there a way to animate a .png image? or would it end up failing?

Oh the shattered hopes and dreams... :)

Oh i feeled shattered, I can't make my ostrich bark at the users :)

Member Avatar for diafol

Animated gifs = cheap shite. Don't allow them please.

Oh the shattered hopes and dreams... :)

I'm pretty sure it's in my Daniweb contract somewhere that I have to crush dreams on a regular basis.

commented: Hahaha :) +0

I'm pretty sure it's in my Daniweb contract somewhere that I have to crush dreams on a regular basis.

But but but... the Unicorn/MyLittlePony fills me with hope of happiness!

commented: haha +0

haha :)

Just saw this profile with animated avatar.

If you read through the thread, you will find that some members that previosuly had animated avatars were preserved/grandfathered when the system was upgraded. That member you referenced is not a new member.

If you read through the thread, you will find that some members that previosuly had animated avatars were preserved/grandfathered when the system was upgraded. That member you referenced is not a new member.

Oh ya sorry, I read this last week, I forgot that. But this is first time I noticed any animated avatar on daniweb.

I want that avatar that you showed us Sahil!

I'm almost 70 and I like animated avatars -- especially the one with a cartoon guy beating his head against the desk with blood spirting all over.

i enjoyed staring at that avatar O.o

But can you imagine if every DaniWeb member had one? Eek!

that would be a distraction at the same time quite fun

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.