I just noticed the little purple dot on the threads with a pop-up indicating "user is currently online". Have I been overlooking this for a while or is this a brand new feature? In any case, I like it.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

It's new. And don't worry, it takes into consideration your profile setting to choose to remain invisible.

Yes, it's a nice feature. I like it.

I don't like it, it's distracting and adds no real value. (And I know I am online...)

Member Avatar for diafol

I'm not fussed on it either. Looks ugly. Not even aligned with the time link. I'm set to invisible, or is that irrelevant? :)

I'm set to invisible, or is that irrelevant? :)

If you're invisible then you get no dot. ;)

Member Avatar for diafol

If you're invisible then you get no dot. ;)

I know. Good, innit?

i kind of like this new feature but wouldn't this annoy senior users?

Are all purple dots invisible when Invisibility mode is on? I don't see any dots of any color.

Are all purple dots invisible when Invisibility mode is on? I don't see any dots of any color.

Yes, the online indicator respects the invisible option.

If I keep my account logged in but leave, would the dot still stay there? (that'll be weird because then it will look like i am on this site 24/7)

Looks ugly. Not even aligned with the time link.

I agree, the allignment is very poor indeed.

Yes, the online indicator respects the invisible option.

Shouldn't I be able to see the dots of other members did not turn invisibility off?

Member Avatar for diafol

I'm still intrigued - of what use is this? I could imagine it being useful if there was a 'chat room', so you could contact users, like FB.

If I keep my account logged in but leave, would the dot still stay there? (that'll be weird because then it will look like i am on this site 24/7)

So, all in all, if this is the case, it makes the feature even more suspect - or is it based on something like last page impression?

Visible for users not actually using the site, but who are logged in.
Invisible for those who are using the site, but wish to go silent.

Sorry if I sound negative, but I think I'm missing something somewhere.

I like the new feature but i agree with diafol, it should be used in a chat room.
Does daniweb have a chat room by any chance?

DaniWeb is planning on having a chat feature in the near future. We planned for it to have launched already, but are still working out the details.

Yea! I see the dot now. I was expecting it to be under the avatar (where most web sites have it) but it works ok next to the posting time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.