When quoting a user, the username of the quoted user isn't shown.
The page about markdown syntax seems to imply that this isn't possible in a syntax supported way.
I think it would contribute to clarity to also be able to syntactically specify the username of the quoted user.
I remember that years ago (before introducing markdown syntax) it was possible to do this.
Is there any reason as to why the option to specify the quoted user isn't included anymore nowadays?

I know we can write something like what's below, but if it were supported in the syntax, it could be displayed in a standard way.

username:

quoted message

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Is there any reason as to why the option to specify the quoted user isn't included anymore nowadays?

Our current Markdown parser doesn't support this as far as I'm aware. In general Dani has been against me modifying those parts (ie. the Markdown parser and the editor parser) of the system because it either locks us into a specific version of third party tools or drastically complicates upgrades.

However, I'll be happy to take a look and see what kind of effort it would be to offer quote block labeling at the very least, and possibly even linking to a post/member directly. Off the top of my head I don't see any problem with the syntax or display of quote headers, it's all about how much code I'd have to change to allow it.

Because I want to stick to Markdown conventions, and the Markdown standard doesn't support this.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.