IRC chat here is always empty. Also, many times I have trouble connecting using the Java web client. It complains about sockets.

Anyways, althought it is a forums based community, It would be nice if more people participated in the chat. It is always empty.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Heh, I didn't even know there was one, and I see no way to get in. Perhaps if was more noticable, people would get in? Or am I just blind, and not seeing it ;).

Edit: Nevermind, there it is :).

Click the button that says IRC Chat Network in the sidebar.

Yep, I found it...Will try it out when I get home from school.

It never works.

It always works for me?? Do you use the Java client or a real IRC client? If you're having problems with the Java chat, try a real IRC client like mIRC.

I get this error:

[10:30] Connecting...
[10:30] Unable to connect : java.net.SocketException : Software caused connection abort: connect

I get this error:

[10:30] Connecting...
[10:30] Unable to connect : java.net.SocketException : Software caused connection abort: connect

Do you have a firewall or some antivirus software which could be blocking sockets?

Seems like the problem is on your end.

I knew that before, I will check some things

Yep, it works for me. I am in it now.

I know for a fact that McAfee AntiVirus blocks IRC (tcp port 6667) as it is sometimes used as a protocol for botnet communication. AFAIK there is no way to disable it.

We really would like to see more people in the IRC chat. If you're not too impatient, you'll see that we really are usually there - idling.

I jump in there every once in a while. Lots of talking ;).

That happens, but I think it has to do with the phase of the moon (and maybe tea leaves).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.